Warren Miller, Off the Grid

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

SCHÜSS

Warren Miller, Off the Grid

Post by SCHÜSS »

Hey guys, just got home from seeing warren millers 'off the grid' movie. Not bad i must say, probably better than last years and that was hitting a low in the last half decade.

I personally thought it was a bit of a roller coaster ride with awesom bits and bad bits all thrown together. Some of the slow motion footage was simply amazing and as per true warren miller style the actual action is breath taking.

The sound track lacked tho this year in my optinion and i think thats a pretty important thing. It was too highschool emo rock in the first half.

Alot of people i have spoken to think the movies are dead now that warren isnt a direct part in them. Well the new guy doing the naration doesnt offer warrens master narating skills that make you want just want to smile, but he isnt bad at all! i see a future for warren miller films if he stays on.

Format was pretty sweet, although alot of you guys are probably offended there wasnt any tele.. but hey i think they need a lil fun-carving in there, thats as much an art as any other form. I was kinda cut that glenn plake wasnt in it but you get that i spose.

Any way, what do you guys think about the new film? love it? hate? was average? is there something better out there?

schuss
SCHÜSS 2011
Chicagoskier11

Post by Chicagoskier11 »

I helped promote the chicago premier so I had the highest expectations for it. In addition to that, I had my first homebuilds that I had finished at the end of summer waiting to be skied so no season held as much anticipation as this. I downloaded tons of skiing movies from totalvids.com (check it out, $3-4 for extreme sports and other movies that would cost 25 or so to buy... can only watch on computer for 7 days and not super great quality but a chance to see stuff you wouldnt otherwise see) and was so so pumped to see it. Unfortunately I could not go to the screening that was right in the city but had to go pretty far out of my way to skokie to see it and I got completely soaked my rain on the way and was pretty cold the whole time.

I liked Jeremy Bloom as the narrator but it just wasnt the same as warren miller. Another slightly disappointing thing was the splicing in of some famous warren miller lines from previous movies. I had heard them all before and it just had a cheaped up feel to it.... i felt like i was getting something that I had already seen instead of getting a nostalgic feel. But the footage was amazing. It being in HD made the experience even more impressive. That 255 foot cliff jump was truely amazing (the skier was signing posters at intermission... kinda crazy dude). I guess when you have the highest possible expectations you cant be truely satisfied but i think it was yet another amazing piece of skiing film and cant wait for next year. They are in an awkward transition stage and i think they will steadily improve from here on out.

I would recommend everybody see it

The people behind me were talking before it started how the company had bought all new HD equipment the year before and that is why last year's movie was lacking. They just didn't have the funds to go to as many exotic locations.

If i remember correctly there was even a skibuilder in the movie. A paralyzed skier was not satisfied how conventional skis worked when hooked up to a monoski so he started his own company specializing in monoski ski design.