Idea

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

kirol

Idea

Post by kirol »

Has anyone seen the movie Idea by Eric Iberg? It is absolutely amazing, It may not be exactly the way I ski but it just shows a couple super creative guys just going out, shredding, and breathing passion into skiing. Some of the stuff in it is unreal -check it out.
endre

Post by endre »

do you have a link?
Holymountain

Post by Holymountain »

This film looks very good

you could see the trailer at:
http://poorboyz.com/
plywood

Post by plywood »

holy shit! :|
this is mad!
i heard about this film...these dudes just are so sick. and so progressive! well... and everything is just possible because of the rockered skis. awesome!
i have to get this movie :D

even if it looks weird skiing without poles. for park it may be ok, but pow....?
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
kirol

Post by kirol »

I couldn't agree more with what you said about poles, personally I am naked without poles in anything but groomers however skiing fast cruisers without poles is such an awesome feeling you can carve so low and put your hands in the snow.
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

Idea is a sick movie - watched it about 4 times already and probably will again tonight. Surprisingly, the skiing isn't as inspiring as other movies but I love the feel of how everything was filmed and edited. Scenes liking them getting ready in the parking lot and navigating snowy highways makes it hit home for me. Plus the soundtrack is awesome! One of the milestone ski movies.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
Greg

Post by Greg »

even if it looks weird skiing without poles. for park it may be ok, but pow....?
Having spent a season skiing without poles in powder (my poles were in the back of my truck, which was stolen), I will say that "poles are for pushing". If you look around at how people use their poles when they are skiing, they only use them like counterbalances. Plus, after ditching the poles, you can do amazing things with your hands... like grabbing trees to pull you through a turn, massive grabs, much more aerodynamic and fast tucks, and the best, high speed chairlift exits.
mattman

Post by mattman »

its great to hear other people seeing the benefits of no-pole skiing. I have been doing this for a couple years now...even in tight east coast tree skiing. its the only way i will ski park after breaking a metacarpul because of landing on my fist and the pole grip created a serious pressure point (pushed the bone right through). skiing at icy, racer dominated mountains in NH, you wouldnt believe the amount of grief people give me for skiing without poles though!!! anyone have this problem?
G-man

Post by G-man »

I like carvey in-bounds days without poles (on tele skis). I find that I can go much faster and really lay the large radius turns over (dare I say 'snowboard' style) when I'm not sportin' poles. I only do this mid-week, though, when the hill is less populated... the speed is too risky otherwise. I'll occasionally ditch the poles for the downhill run in the backcountry if it's a powder day and I'm on the big fat/soft skis... for that big wave 'surf' feel.

Yes, people always say stuff like, "hey dude, you forgot your poles". I just smile and say, "ya, I know" 8) .

I haven't seen the movie yet, and I my Quicktime version won't play the trailer... dang.

G-man
Greg

Post by Greg »

I really haven't figured out why racers use poles, other than to push out of the starting gates. Once they are on the course, poles just slow them down, and hinder their ability to be aerodynamic in a tuck. Without poles, you can get into a much more aerodynamic pose than with poles.

That being said, I sometimes dream about the day when an Olympic downhill racer pushes out of the gates with long nordic skiing poles, then ditches them once he gets to speed. Of course, he would then win the race if he has the balls to hold the higher speed.
plywood

Post by plywood »

i thought this could be interesting! ;)

hunting yeti, new film of pollard and his crew - can be watched for free
http://www.rip.tv/nimbusindependent
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!