Just want to introduce my self

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

TexMurphy

Just want to introduce my self

Post by TexMurphy »

Hi there.

Im from sweden and I found this site just recently and Im amazed, such a great site.

About one year ago I read an article, in the swedish sking magazine "Åka Skidor", which focused on swedish ski companies. The last swedish made alpine ski, before the boom of new companies, was made in 1974 by Edsbyn, same year as Stenmark broke through. Bad timeing huu.. so for about 30 years there was no alpine ski production in sweden. The article focused on Extrem (snow board brand), Ridea, Hendryx and Lokomotive. I was totally absorbed by how they described the feeling of sking your own skis for the first time. I didnt think much more of it as I deemed it so out of my league that I didnt even think of searching the web on how its done.

Also Ive never really considered my self handy. Ive never really done any type of crafting. Hey Im a computer geek and Im not supposed to be handy. Then last summer we where surfin in danemark and I saw all the camper vans by the beach. I looked at how they had been converted and talked to the people who owned them. I told my self I want one and Im gonna build one cant be that hard. I had alot of doubts that I couldnt do it because Im not handy but I bought my self a volkswagen van and actually built it with a great result. I didnt really have any good plants like the ones you guys provide for ski making. I realized heck beeing handy is about analyzing the problem and solving it logically before you start building. Thats what I do as a computer geek all the time. Awsome.

So this year Im thinking of getting new skis I want something wide, turney and yet stable. I really dont want stuff made in china. I start looking at indie brands and realized how many there are. I start remembering that article.

Hmmmm... I want something very specific... I want something unique... hmmmm....go to google enter "build your own skis".... hmmmm whats this skibuilders ... sold!

Ok Im not gonna be on the skis I want this year. I dont have any expectation that Im gonna be able to build a perfect ski for my self. But Im gonna build my own skis!! Guys you hear me Im gonna build my own skis!!! Im gonna be able to ski on a pair of skis that I have made my self!!!! Woooot!!!

So Ive started to look for a place to setup a workshop. Problem is that I live in a aptmnt and obviously using the living room is out of the question. :) So first things first... I need a workshop.

So till I find one Ill be reading, thinking, reading again and maybe asking totally dumb noob questions on this forum.

I just wanted to say hi and thank you guys for providing such a great site that helps people realizes their dreams. People who share their knowlege deserve alot of cred.

Thanks guys.
Tex
endre

Post by endre »

velkommen!
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hey dude, where in Sweden are you? I am living in Uppsala right now, but I'll be back up in Lulea in the winter. I am hoping to set up a shop in a friend's garage there, since all my tools are at home back in the USA, but a lot has to happen before then. If you have any questions though, feel free to ask, but I think most everything you could ever want to know about ski building has been discussed on the forums, so do read through them first.
TexMurphy

Post by TexMurphy »

Thanks!

Im in Gothenburg and my biggest problem is finding a place to set up the shop. Once I got that done I think most things are on here. Ofcourse when it comes to some details I think I will have questions.

One I do have fore you though. What suppliers do you use for P-Tex, edgest, carbon fiber, ect...

Tex
Greg

Post by Greg »

Well, in the US, I got my ptex from Durasurf, my edges from snowboardmaterials (they aren't around anymore) and my fiberglass from a boat building shop. The epoxy was QCM brand which is manufactured near my home.

I am actually planning on packing a ski bag full of ski materials when I am home for christmas because I have a lot of materials at home. Then if the airline people complain, I will just say that they are "special" pre-production prototype skis :)

But, I really have no idea how to get the rest of the supplies here in Sweden. Men, Lycka till!
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

welcome to the forums!
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.