Water press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

badh0rsie

Water press

Post by badh0rsie »

Hello all!
I've been watching the site for a while, and after my most recent ski trip, the necessity for several more pairs of skis has become apparent. Ive decided to make the jump and build a press.
I have a reverse osmosis filter hooked up at my house for my fish, and the pressure guage reads 35-40 psi. Im thinking about building a bladder press and just using the pressure created by the public water system instead of buying an air compressor. I trid searching the site to see if anyone else has done this, but i couldn't find much. I figure it will seriously decrease the chances of my wife getting pissed about this thing running for days on end... and possibly decrease cost, and i want some opinions:

1. 35-40psi? Decent? what epoxies sould i be looking at?

2. I might be able to rig an inline water heater to it in a loop. home depot sells a small capacity for about $165 (Bosch GL2.5 Ariston). Any thoughts on this?
mark

Post by mark »

I'd suggest using a Backflow prevention device so as not to contaminate your drinking water.

Sounds like a cool idea. You may be able to get enough heat out of your home water heater depending on the size of your bladder.
jono

Post by jono »

What temp is your bladder/fire hose rated to? Bladder failure is never a good thing ';)'
kirol

Post by kirol »

This sounds like a great idea. Be sure to use a backflow preventor (vaccuum breaker) every modern hose outlet has one,or you could contaminate your drinking water and it would be illegal. Another advantage to this would be you could heat your water on the way into the system. I am not sure if 35 psi would be enough pressure but you could get a pressure tank installed in your plumbing system.
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

don't forget the weight of the water also adds pressure, so depending on the size/shape of your bladder you can add that into the formula too
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.