botched order: now, ISO silicon heat blanket

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Craig

botched order: now, ISO silicon heat blanket

Post by Craig »

I've been getting ready to press my first pair of skis, and run into a big problem. My roommate and I just found out our 12" silicon heat blanket order got screwed up. Our supplier requires a 4-6 week lead time, so we are now looking at ANOTHER 4-6 weeks to get one. We would have been ready to press by the end of the week, but are now unsure what to do. We've ordered heat cure epoxies, and really don't want to reorder room-temperature epoxies that won't perform as well, especially since we will press in an unheated garage.

We've called numerous companies and received the same lead time response from each one - we won't get one for at least a month. If we find a blanket in the next week, we'll be able to press and get plenty of rides on our boards before the season runs out - if we don't find one, we're in trouble.

Does anyone out there know of a silicon heat blanket supplier that can deliver quickly? Or, does anyone have one to sell - OR, sell to us for a month and a half, and buy back at a bargain price?

This is our first post on the site, thank you for the great skibuilding info. Hopefully, after pressing a few pairs, we will have some insight of our own to give back.
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

Did you call MEI? They make these blankets fast, less than two weeks delivered.

Check the links tab on skibuilders main page.

-S
mpm32

Post by mpm32 »

Maybe build a hot box to cure your skis? This will get you by until you get your blanket.
G-man

Post by G-man »

I use heaters from www.hiheat.com. They do custom heaters or you can order from ready made 'catalog' heaters. I use the catalog heaters... 2 of the 36 inch long ones... about 50 bucks each. It takes about 3 days to get them.

G-man
Craig

Post by Craig »

Thanks for the advice, guys. It seems we got very luck yesterday. We reached a supplier who had an undeliverable blanket sitting on a shelf that could be shipped same day. Its only 6" wide, so we can only do a ski at a time for now. But, thats a lot better than not having one at all

But, if those other techniques have worked well for you, maybe its something we can try out this summer.
x15man

Try Heatcon, they make blankets for composite curing

Post by x15man »

You might want to try calling Heatcon 800-556-1990. They make heat blankets and they make a fairly inexpensive heat forming kit that can also be used to do composite curing.
sammer

Post by sammer »

x15man your posts reek of spam. enough!
we are here to help each other not sell product.
sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Dr. Delam

Why is that SPAM????

Post by Dr. Delam »

Isn't listing a supplier helping others out? I ordered my blanket from Heatcon and although not as good of a price from MEI they packaged it with a controller and relay. While Craig may have already found a supplier, providing useful information is what forums are all about and others might benefit from the posting! Even if x15 worked for Heatcon which I doubt, I wouldn't care.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Perhaps its not my place to say, maybe i should have talked to a mod first.
but... 3 posts all regarding heatcon with part #'s etc.
sorry if im wrong but...
sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)