Thickness Sander Core Profiling?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ridejad

Thickness Sander Core Profiling?

Post by ridejad »

i was wondering if anyone has heard of using a drum or wide belt sander for core profiling similar to performax, ross ,gemco ,reliant , and delta type machines because i could buy one for a reasonable price
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

you should go to your local woodshop and see if they have one you could try out.
but i think it could work pretty well, since it doesn't tear the wood apart like a regular planer blade does.
ridejad

Post by ridejad »

Well sorry i wasn't very clear on my question i was wondering if you could build a crib and run the whole crib through the sander and use the same process as if it was a planer
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

i think so...they are made like thickness planers except that they have a sanding drum instead of blades.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

If you have any kind of plastic sidewall (ABS, P-tex, etc) you may have to worry about over-heating or melting the plastic. Interesting idea though, I never even knew there were sanding planers
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

i came across one at a huge tool supply shop at the mall in opryland when i was there last year. Pretty much a widebelt setup to be used like a planer ;)
Doug
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

i use a big one near me to finish the profile to take off 1mm or 2