The Bear

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

odin

The Bear

Post by odin »

For quite some time now I have wanted a CNC machine. After countless research and price quotes I came to a cold hard conclusion.

There should be a CNC machine built specifically for small builders.
To that end I have recently finalized a design for a machine we will be offering in our product line this year.

(conceptual rendering)

If anyone is interested in more details I invite you to contact me and I'll send you a brochure.

There is an introductory offer I am making for the first few sales. I can say more about that when contacted.

Thanks all, Mike
airhoag

Post by airhoag »

PM sent.
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

what are the dimensions?
odin

Post by odin »

Cutting area: 27" x 80" x 3.5"
Footprint: 36" x 86"

Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the spec sheet.

Mike
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

rough gestimate on Price?
10K?
G-man

Post by G-man »

a machine we will be offering in our product line this year.
Hi odin,

I already have a cnc router, but I was wondering what other items you carry in your product line that I, or other forum members, might be interested in.

Thanks,

G-man

Edit: Just did a search and pulled up some earlier posts of your longboard deck veneers. Pretty stuff.
Last edited by G-man on Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corvettecrazy

Post by corvettecrazy »

From his photobucket:

Btw odin, you shop set up looks great!
G-man

Post by G-man »

Thanks corvettecrazy.

G-man
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Holy shitake! Is this not insanely cheap for this type of thing??
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

@odin: i saw your skateboard press frame made of osb boards on your myspace.
awesome idea...i wonder what pressures you're using and maybe if you could use it as a ski press as well (maybe with some reinforcements).
odin

Post by odin »

Hey all thanks for the posts,

I do allot of custom verticlal lamination work for people all over the country from veneer for longboard Skatedecks to cores for snowboards and skis.

Most of the equipment or tools I use for building my own boards I make as well. This year I intend on marketing these products to our community of home builders and small companies a bit more than I have in the past.

My goal over the next few months is to put together a website featuring all of the products that that I make and more I wish to introduce. I strive to be fair in all of my pricing and honest in every dealing. The bear is the result of my own need to have a CNC machine but the inability to justify ( or drop) tens of thousands of dollars for one.

Other items will include: Bladder end clamps (with through the clamp hose connectors) Blank core blocks, fully shaped and profiled cores, press frames, fully equipped presses, and more.

The prototype press frame I use for skateboards is actually made from a structural subflooring not OSB. This press has built over 500 decks pressed at 175-200 psi and is still going strong. This prototype has opened the door to a design for these press frames that are highly functional yet completely affordable.

I invite all to look at my myspace page for a ton of pictures or as one already posted my photobucket account has allot too.

Thanks to everyone for the posts and replies. I am always available for questions and such.

Sincerely, Mike Campbell/Wednesday MFG
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

I like the look of this unit and 2500 seems like a really reasonable price. Now, all I need is some money..............
odin

Post by odin »

The Bear project is well under way. Wanted to post some pictures of what we have so far.

Siderail assembly

Z carriage bearings

Table frame assembly

Complete table mock up

Gantry beam assembly front

Gantry beam assembly back

Will be posting more here in the next few weeks as well as video of testing.

Thanks, Mike
jono

Post by jono »

I just ordered a bear. Now I just have to find something to do while I wait for it to be ready.
odin

Post by odin »

Here are a few more pics. One last motion system to complete (Z axis or router) and I can begin outfitting the drive components.The gantry is still missing it's cosmetic peices but otherwise is fully functional.
Rough final assembly of the X and Y motion systems with Z carrige installed.

Close up of the Z carraige mock up (front)

Close up of Z carraige (rear)

For the most part the build is going well. There have been raw material cost increases over the past few months to deal with. The retail price of the machine will have to go up accordingly.

I will post more as I get it.

Mike