Building a Press Frame with Parallam Beams?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

prophetone

Building a Press Frame with Parallam Beams?

Post by prophetone »

I am thinking about building a press finally and would like to try something different... I also posted this question on the graf site but no one has dared to answer.

Instead of steel ibeams could it be possible to use parallam beams? They would stand vertical, doubled up on top and bottom like ibeams, high end hardware, etc.

This would end up looking pretty cool I think but is this feasible? Could they handle the force, etc?

I have access to a beam so I thought I'd ask.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

actually there was someone selling a press made of similar stuff...here's a link to the thread: http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... e22cb50926

so, it's possible, but i don't think you could take the pressure as high as with an i-beam frame.
there was also another frame made of tgi beams.
bigskis

Post by bigskis »

I think it will work as long as you use big enough beams. I looked into making one out of 12 inch LVL before doing it out of steal.
prophetone

Post by prophetone »

Thanks for the feedback! I think if I were to attempt this vs. standard steel ibeam, then it would have to be the big stuff and possibly backed up by some sort of steel surround anyway for safety and extra support.

I will post to this forum with pics when I get get rolling on a press, in whatever form it might end up in.