base contamination

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

hugocacola

base contamination

Post by hugocacola »

hello All

I am writing because I need some advises
I have some problem with rectifying my bases, the problem is I am using black base material with graphite on it and doing some die-cut graphics with white, Grey and red material, and when I rectify the base material with a smooth sand paper, the white base material gets dirty like the photo shows… this problem is caused by the sand paper?? How could I prevent it?? Buy a new sand paper. This effect was caused by a 120grade sand paper…

I hope you have some ideas..

Best regards

nate

Post by nate »

Buying some new sandpaper seems like a logical first step. It could be your sandpaper is cross-contaminating between your dark base materials and your lighter ones. Though it might also be the sandpaper itself? I think the first step is to try with some brand new sandpaper.
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

but what number should i buy??? its not easy buy small quantities of this sand paper...
vinman

Post by vinman »

would a wet sander or stone grind get rid of that?
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

i use a snowboard rectify machine , from r off b and i use water... maybe the stone will be a solution but regarding my erlier jobs were perfect, i beleive is because the sand paper...
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

I actually think that is the graphite from the black material. I don't think it's a good idea to mix the black with graphite with the other two colors. The different materials will respond differently. The graphite additive is supposed to make the base material faster. So the black part of your base faster than the other parts of the base? If you switch to a black base without the graphite additive you also won't see the bits of graphite in your other colors.
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

but also you can see some red fragments... i share your idea but the red contamination also get my head spining around..
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

maybe the graphite is picking up red material and depositing that also? Hmm... didn't notice the red at first.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

you think a stone grind will make that disappear?
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

matbe yes... maybe not...