Router Bit for Core Profiling

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

CAFactory

Router Bit for Core Profiling

Post by CAFactory »

I have searched through the threads on this forum for a link or the name of the type of router bit to use for the router bridge method, but cannot find anything. Can someone help me out with a link or the name of the type of bit to use?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I guess there is a learning curve with this method but I found it brutal to get right. Hopefully you can do them both together. Others will say differently.

Any larger mortising bit will do the job.
http://www.amanatool.com/bits-fv/45560.html
You need to be able to remove larger amounts of material quickly and easily if you don't have a electric or manual hand planer to do a rough profile.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

cove box bits work as well...just get the biggest diameter bit you can find.
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

We use this bit for the router bridge method.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1520

The rounded corners is less likely to leave grooves in your core.
sammer

Post by sammer »

This is the one I've been using for a while.
http://www.routerbitsdirect.ca/viewItem ... tegory=198

Gotta go with a few passes but it removes a lot of wood.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
CAFactory

Post by CAFactory »

Thanks for the replies, I think I'l try to pick up one of the dish carving bits because it looks more forgiving.

Also, I came up with an idea for a really inexpensive vacuum setup. How about an Aspirator pump? I have city water and the water pressure is very good.

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/produ ... 37830&pfx=

Supposed to pull 28.5'' HG of vacuum!
And is less than $20 dollars. Outlet water can be stored for watering as well so no waste.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I think people have used this in conjunction with their vacuum pump setup to increase the bars from 14 - 28 ish..
sammer

Post by sammer »

CAFactory...
the item in your link looks to be a vacuum generator. (somebody correct me if I'm wrong)
I think that you'd have to run a lot of water thru that thing to press a ski for 5 or 6 hours (assuming fairly fast cure epoxy at room temp)
Better to find a fridge compressor at your local landfill or appliance repair place.

just my $0.02

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
CAFactory

Post by CAFactory »

Thanks for the replies.
Here's my thoughts...
Bagging setups loose what 2-3'' Hg over a cure time max?
If I have an inline on/off valve I can seal the inside of the bag to around 26-28'' Hg. After a loss of 2'' HG, I will still be over the minimum requirement for adequate vacuum. Also, I can monitor the pressure inside the bag, and turn the vacuum on if inside the bag gets too low.
I'm trying to acquire a fridge with no luck from craigslist.
hafte

Post by hafte »

CAFactory, if you really want a fridge compressor check with a local appliance store. They are always replacing fridges and have to deal with the coolant. Then they have to deal with the body of the fridge. They may let you have the compressor for a cheap price (maybe even free) and that would be all you would have to take. You would not have to deal with the rest of the fridge body.

BTW, I have not tried this, but I know of at least two places in town that I could ask if I had to. I found a nice little automotive vacuum pump at a pawn store for $100.

Also have a look at these guys. http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/v2-about.htm I made my first setup this way and it works fine plus you can get all of the stuff to make a vacuum reservoir so the pump does not run constantly.

Hafte
Fiddled

Post by Fiddled »

Random thought, modify the fridge and use it as a hot box.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Sorry for the deviation from topic (which anyways was the case) but it's not the first time I read that term "hot box".
I basically understood it's nothing more than a heated box where you put your skis but I never heard about it before... what is it used for ? Do you put your skis there for the final cure after they are pressed or is there something to do with the waxing process ?
Thanks for making me a bit less stupid :)
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

afaik the heat is supposed to open the pores of the base material to allow for better wax absorbtion.