wooden press frame claimed to take 145psi?!

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

chrismp

wooden press frame claimed to take 145psi?!

Post by chrismp »

stumbled across a german website that sells instructional dvd's on snowboard building.
their press frame is built completely out of wooden bars and threaded rods as you can see in these two vids:
http://www.custom-snowboard.com/ausschnitt.html
http://www.custom-snowboard.com/ausschnittform.html

on their forums the site owner claims that the one he built himself takes 10bar (which is the max his compressor will provide).

do you think thats even possible with this kind of construction?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

That seems like a lot of pressure for an all wooden press. It must flex. My press is wood ( 2 wood beams). Each beam is constructed of 21 pieces of 3/4x8x96 of OSB bolted together with 1/2in threaded steel rod every 12 inches. It has 2 steel frames on each end to support the beams. I press at about 40-50 psi. Mine flexes less than 1/16 of inch.

Looks like he's using 4x4 beams or the European equivalent.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

yep,had to think of your press too when i saw this.
and i would guess yours is stronger thanks to the laminated boards and the rods.
LifeisRiding

flexy

Post by LifeisRiding »

looks like he must get deflection in his press.< probably pretty cheap to build tho!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I wouldn't discount his press. I like the simplicity of it. Could build it in an afternoon. It can always be re-inforced if it had to be.

The hardest part would be finding wood beams that are straight w/o twists or knots. I definetly would not use pressure treated wood. Moisture content is too high and I don't think I've ever seen one that was good enough quality for building something where precision matters. It's fine for fence posts, and general construction like deck framing, etc.

I would try it if I didn't have a behemoth of a press already.