My plan for cheap effective heat

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

LifeisRiding

My plan for cheap effective heat

Post by LifeisRiding »

Flexwatt heat Tape

Seems to mostly be sold as a heat source for pets like reptiles online.
Will be building a heating system soon and will post so info and pics after i get it all sorted out.

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/flexwire.shtml

seams cheap and easy to use, heats up to 190F
build or buy your own thermostat / dimmer switch

check out video the pet guy walk you through how it all works
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Flex-Watt-Heat-Tape

anyone already using heat tape?
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

yeah, that won't work. nice idea though.

First of all the manufacturer says that anything over 95 F causes a potential hazard.
Secondly the 11" model is only a wopping 20 watts per foot. So, assuming a 6' long element you're only using 120 watts. That is just not enough electricity to heat the element, and all of the material in contact with the element.

For comparison, a typical mei heat blanket of comparable size would be using 2400 watts.

Furthermore, heat tape is not designed or manufactured to be put under the massive amount of pressure that we use in a pneumatic press.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

i don't think the pressure would be a problem, but still the wattage is far too little.
we're using a pretty similar approach, but the heating elements we use are made for industrial applications, so they have enough power.
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

I've been checking into making my own heating blanket too. I called around and found a company out of Texas that makes and sells heating elements: HTS/Amtek ( heatingtapes DuT com)
I spoke with a guy named Harry Hamilton. He was more than willing to talk about my application and help me figure out a way to make a heating blanket on the cheap. Cost for a 1" wide industrial heating element was $4/ft. (9.8 ohms/ft). These max out at 200F, so you'd have to have pretty good temp control not to fry the elements.
jono

Post by jono »