Questions regarding heating blankets and vacuum pressing

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

kohlrabi

Questions regarding heating blankets and vacuum pressing

Post by kohlrabi »

I've got myself a vacuum press setup that is rated at 28inHg (~.95 bar) and the next thing I want to do is purchase a heating blanket.

Will a vacuum press setup create sufficient pressure to properly press a set of skis. I know 13-14psi over a large area adds up to a decent force, but how would this compare to a firehose press with 45-60psi of air in it?

Now that I've got the vacuum press setup I'm faced with a major problem: how am I going to run the leads from the thermocouple from inside the bag to outside the bag? As far as I can tell, Michaels does not offer a blanket with a single setpoint. Perhaps I'll have to contact them about that.

Judging from this picture:

The entry point of the power cable and thermocouple lead produces a bump on the heating blanket. Will this telegraph through to my skis, or should I order a longer length so that this section is beyond the workpiece. Or would an aluminim sheet like the Leangs used be advisable.

Thanks for any info you can offer :)
Greg

Post by Greg »

My heat blanket has lots of wires running through it. The first time I used it I got lots of ripples in the topsheet of my skis. However, these ripples don't seem to really affect the ski function, and I have skiied 10 days on that first heated pair (the better rockets). Lately though, I have been putting a sheet of thin plastic between the heat blanket and ski, and it seems to help a lot. There are still ripples, but they are really small. Next I am going to try some aluminum sheet, and i think that should solve the problem.

I would bet that with your heat blanket, if you used an aluminum or steel sheet, you wouldn't have any problems with it.
Greg

Post by Greg »

One more thing about running leads from inside to outside the bag. I bet you could just lay the blanket on top of the vacuum bag.
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

The bumps are only on one side. We have a couple layers of 1/8" hardboard over the ribs of our mold. I made a cutout in one layer to accommadate the bumps and then laid a sheet of aluminum over the blanket. The bumps face down in the cutout. Here is a pic: Not the best picture, but I think you get the idea.

You can get vacuum tape and bag material and rather than putting your whole mold in a bag, you would tape down tha bagging material to the top of your mold.

You can buy single setpoint controllers from www.omega.com

-kelvin
kohlrabi

Post by kohlrabi »

Thanks for the input, guys.

Michaels does offer a termostatically controlled blanket that functions at a single temperature. I'm sure it will produce more error than a PID setup would, though I'm confident that as long as it is within 10deg of the setpoint I should be fine.

I'll check out the vacuum bag/tape idea. Setting up the PID controller along with the SSR is about the only way I'll managed to get school credit for this project.
mattman

Post by mattman »

I vac bag my mold inside a 36" wide nylon tube-bag. With this setup I have run plenty of wires out of the bag (for thermocouples on the mold) by squeezing the wire between two strips of mastic tape on a sealed end. mastic has plenty of give and can easily seal around wires...i regularly get 28 and 29" vacuums with plenty of wires! I would be interested to hear if setting the blanket on top of the bag works though, since i am planning to try this. my blanket arrives soon and i dont want it to deform inside the bag (i need to heat from above, not below...hard to explain why)...so i dont think i can have it under pressure. if you try having the blanket outside the bag, please let me know how it works!!!