DIY Silicone Heat Blanket

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Brazen

Post by Brazen »

That was a stash fart-knocker! Good grief, see if I tell you anything again. :evil:
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

why are you being so discreet about your suppliers? especially if it's a specialty item like this? it's not like every one on this forum is going to kill your business just because they're able to build heat blankets and dye sub presses now...

whenever i'm really happy with a supplier i try to recommend them to fellow builders so they get more business...just like with qcm and entropy on this forum.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I'm not sure Chris, it's just never paid off for me when I share things that were difficult to find with everyone. I think it's a loss of competitive advantage to some degree. Am I wrong?
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

well, yeah it is...but i think in this day and age it's just better to share as much of your ideas as possible so others can adapt them and maybe even invent something better.
it helps everyone improve their process. happy monkey snowboards' blog is a great example for this!

in this business there's very little competitive advantage anyway since it's all pretty much the same...there's just a couple of companies using significantly different workflows/materials from the average.
if you look at how the marketing of most ski/snowboard companies works it's all just blown up blah blah about their space technology materials and awesome camber rocker profiles. but in the end they all use the same stuff and just gave it a different fancy name.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

This forum as a whole is a rock and stick approach to things. Every once in awhile, when I can, I will offer a tip to someone that represents a lot of accrued research time...this wasn't even one of those, what got me here was the total disregard for the OBVIOUS fact that, having seen MM's pricing on silicone blankets I figured I would share with him (hence the PM) a great supplier that I had located. His response was just stabby, to me it's akin to proffering a bag of chips you're eating and rather than having someone take a few, they mash both their grubby paws into the bag while complaining that you don't share enough chips. Really?

Mike isn't in business anymore, so he has nothing to lose with his blog...the last time I checked, we all don't work for the same company, right? MM is a potential competitor that I was nice enough to share a chip with, I can't say he's ever done the same for me.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

well of course it is...most of us are hobby builders with very limited funds after all!
the beauty of open source is sharing your ideas and suppliers so others can use and maybe even improve them.
and as good as your ideas/workflow/suppliers/boards may be, i'm pretty sure they're not the be-all and end-all. i know you like to think of yourself as someone who has this whole thing figured out (e.g. your posts in the dye sub threads on what printer to use), but not everyone has the budget to buy a printer that costs a small fortune.
i for example bought my printer for about 50 bucks used and i found a great supplier for sublimation inks who sells small quantities. and if i get the sublimation press right, i guess my results won't differ that much from yours, but i'll have paid a fraction of what you paid for it. still i'm more than willing to share the knowledge i've gained from my experiences and help others get there too.

if you're willing to open your bag of chips maybe others let you taste theirs...and who knows, maybe they have some flavors you didn't know yet and like even better than the ones you already know ;)

of course i just could have bought a silicone heat blanket like everyone else does, but the way i did it saved me at least a couple hundred bucks to spend on materials for new boards...and why should i keep this information a secret after all the information on how to get started this forum has given me?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

wow dude. you don't get this whole thing. I am not a competitor at all. Your fugging crazy to think that.

This is all open source info on here. You should have mentioned that you would not like that info to be passed on.
Others I have spoken with and met in person in this business have told me things in confidence that I did not pass on because they asked me not to.
Be a little more specific next time.
This is your own fault but if you want me to edit that post I will just say the word.
That's your own fault.

The durometer of that material is 70, seems stout with a 12oz fg layer.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Chris, you are right in a lot of ways and honestly, this blanket thread is just an incredible asset to the forum, you rock. Thank you. That dye-sub printer thing though, I didn't think anyone got that that was a joke... I had just watched GNAR, it was a call-out :D And MM, if I send you a "Private Message" in the future...well, you know, the name kinda says it right? ;)
Last edited by Brazen on Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Been reading this tread
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

My stomach hurts now.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Brazen wrote:Chris, you are right in a lot of ways and honestly, this blanket thread is just an incredible asset to the forum, you rock. Thank you. That dye-sub printer thing though, I didn't think anyone got that that was a joke... I had just watched GNAR, it was a call-out :D And MM, if I send you a "Private Message" in the future...well, you know, the name kinda says it right? ;)
cheers! :) ...sry, at least i didn't really get it...but i guess that kinda stuff is hard to communicate over the interwebs ;)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

So that reinforced rubber is $50 a yrd not 35.
with the rtv it will still be somewhat expensive but not 450 a blanket like mei is quoting now.
sammer

Post by sammer »

I contacted diversified silicone a while back looking for silicone vacuum membrane they wouldn't give me a price!
They did send me a sample, I told them it was too thick (3mm) and that I would like a price for 2mm they told me they would send me a sample.
I said "I didn't want another sample just a price on 2mm translucent silicone blanket". That was the last I heard from them.
Acme rubber wanted $140/ft for 72" wide 2mm vacuum blanket.
How did either of you get a price?
Seems like if you are going to buy it they'll send you an invoice, but a quote might be harder to come by.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I got a quote but they put mei's name on it? So weird.
Call and talk to brian hes a little spacey but he will quote you ext. 103
He quoted me wrong initially.

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I got some samples of the 1/32" fiber reinforced 70A and it was too stout or too thick when laminated. I pressed it at 10psi for 24 hrs and I pressed much of the RTV silicone out.
I instead ordered some 1/64" 60A sheets and will put in a layer of 9oz twill glass with the wires and press lightly to get flat and cure without pressure. I think then I will have a workable blanket.
Will post pics and stuff in a few days when I get all my stuff dialed.
Intial costs of the blanket were inflated.
I think $100 per blanket is right on after its all said and done, wires, glass, RTV silicon and silicon sheet.
Thanks for everyone's help,
and FYI if you just google silicon sheet you get diversified silicone on the first page I was just going liquid at first per chrismp's design but I guess I didn't check the viscosity and couldn't find a low viscosity pourable high temp silicon. The 50A hardness was too sticky and not hard enough.
The 70A at that thickness was too stiff with 2 layers of glass, so I ordered the 60A.
Sometimes the porridge is too cold and sometimes too hot but hopefully little red riding hoods heat blanket will not electrocute or burn down her house.