ski press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

zepher

ski press

Post by zepher »

Hey, pretty new to this forum...

Thinking of building a press similar to the monkeypress with two ibeams on top and bottom. Just curious if people think it would help with deflection
if some metal was welded vertically in between the flanges of the ibeams... hopefully that makes sense.

I have not done the engineering with the beams but can get my hands on a beam that is 35lbs/ft and 12in tall and 8ft
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

If you do that better...i had donne that on mine...
zepher

Post by zepher »

I'm thinking of getting some lighter ibeams and then adding those supports... hopefully that will save on money....
skibum

Post by skibum »

I think the extra strength you would get would be minimal unless you used a lot of extra metal. I could be wrong on this. Just call up your local metal recycler and save money that way.
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

skibum wrote:I think the extra strength you would get would be minimal unless you used a lot of extra metal. I could be wrong on this. Just call up your local metal recycler and save money that way.
You are wrong. Adding vertical supports takes up bending load by putting it into tensile load, it's a much more efficient way of carrying the load, deflections go down to almost nothing. Problem is it can make loading the press a bit of a pain, but people have done various things to get around this, like fixed supports on the back side, but hinged/pinned supports on the front that can be swing out of the way for loading, and put back in place for pressing.

Our press has hinged/pinned vertical supports, but the main structure isn't I-beams, it's 2"x4" steel beams and is dangerous without the vertical supports. I really want to build a new press with I-beams so that I can go without any vertical supports, just for the simplicity and cleanliness of the frame.
skibum

Post by skibum »

I could have misinterpreted the question but I though the question was about welding metal on a single beam from bottom to top flange. Yes for sure having a hinged system it will minimize deflection.
sorry for the misread
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Like this: http://www.totempoleskiandboard.com/ski ... press.html

When extending the width of my press, I considered the above, but ended up using H beams, rotated 90 degrees and bolted together. Doubles the number of flanges available to load.

You have be to careful what you buy, the web needs to be reasonably thick and check it is straight down the middle.

Using box section for the base which made this approach a good option.
zepher

Post by zepher »

"I could have misinterpreted the question but I though the question was about welding metal on a single beam from bottom to top flange. Yes for sure having a hinged system it will minimize deflection.
sorry for the misread"

The original question was about welding metal on a single beam from the top and bottom flange...
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

zepher wrote:"I could have misinterpreted the question but I though the question was about welding metal on a single beam from bottom to top flange. Yes for sure having a hinged system it will minimize deflection.
sorry for the misread"

The original question was about welding metal on a single beam from the top and bottom flange...
when making my press I was thinking about going this route and my welder told me this should make I/H-beams stronger. Later we realized I don't need those because at 55 pounds per foot and 800 pounds only bottom beams press strong enough as it is.

go to local metal scrap yard and get yourself stronger/bigger I-beams. First think about logistics because this stuff VERY VERY VERY heavy
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

zepher wrote:"I could have misinterpreted the question but I though the question was about welding metal on a single beam from bottom to top flange. Yes for sure having a hinged system it will minimize deflection.
sorry for the misread"

Ok, I apologize I was way out of line then!

Welding vertical bars between the webs will do virtually nothing, if you weld some diagonal bars though that will help a lot. The bending loads are all in shear.
zepher

Post by zepher »

Ok, I apologize I was way out of line then!

Welding vertical bars between the webs will do virtually nothing, if you weld some diagonal bars though that will help a lot. The bending loads are all in shear.

ahh, that makes more sense... I've found some ibeams that are 35lbs/ft that are almost 50% off.. I was thinking of getting these and then adding some of that diagonal welding support, maybe that would be a lot of work but the price is too good.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

how about use 10" "U"channel on each side of I-beam total of 8. That should count for something.

Remember this kind of work will add a lot of time for welder. Good metal fabricator should know what you need for reinforcement
zepher

Post by zepher »

SO,
I went down to the scrap yard and found some ibeams...
They are 7" by 14" and 20' long at 38lbs/ft. They are only $190 bucks a piece so a pretty good deal from what I can tell... I'm not sure but to me they seem a little tall...

I would like to do some calculations to see what the deflection would be if I had a 7ft span, two hoses at 50psi....

I don't really trust my math/engineering skills.. if anyone had a sec to run those numbers I would be forever grateful

There were a couple other options for beams down there but nothing really consistent.. Would it be a problem to do two of the same ibeams for the top and two different ones for the bottom?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

You need more details on the beams man. Check here and get some specs before someone can run the calcs. There also several threads on these details on here.
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... highlight=
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.