Sharpening Planer Blades/Knifes

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

telehead

Sharpening Planer Blades/Knifes

Post by telehead »

Just wondering if anyone has a good way of sharpening there planer blades. I have about 6 pair that I would like to sharpen (not spend $20 to have sharpened). There has to be a way....
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

There's a way. I bought a stone w/ a plastic holder that sharpens planer blades. Check the big box stores. I'll post a pic once I get my computer to recognized my camera again.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Check your local hardware store and ask if there is anyone who has a sharpening service. Check the yellow pages too for that matter.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I usually go to Apex Saw in Reno for router bit and blade sharpening. Have you checked there? I thought it was a little less than $20 but could be wrong.

Since accuracy is so important with planer blades I let the guys with the expensive machines do it.

Lots of info on the web about how to do it yourself though.
telehead

Post by telehead »

Hey Dr.D, Yea I went to Apex, it was a cool twenty spot. He charges five per side. I can buy them online, or at Harbor Frieght for $18 to $22. It seems to me they just need to be "freshend up" a little. We all know that our blades never get chipped from making cores. The bamboo is the worst, or is it all the glue???? Anyway, Thanks for the info. Hey D. why have we never crossed pathes? Been skiing around here forever, never have seen the "Soul" skis on the hill. The snow is coming, wax em up!!! kt
TahoePowder

Post by TahoePowder »

This looks pretty simple, from Garagewoodworks:

foot.loose

Post by foot.loose »

I'm new on this forum so I am restricted to not being able to post u r ls.

Here's a little something from the surfcaft building brotherhoo/

Check out swaylocks . com NEW: SHARPENING BLOCK PLANES -RAZOR SHARP

SCARY SHARP - great tutorial!