mag drill

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

infinityskis

mag drill

Post by infinityskis »

I just got some free I beams and don't want to spend 100 to 200 bucks on renting a mag drill … so could I do with a regular drill and a handful of drill bits
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

If you buy GOOD drill bits and have a 120v corded drill, some beer and time then yea. You will smoke bits like mad if you use cheap crappy ones.

But yea, it's doable. Some machining oil would be good as well. Drop some in hole to keep the bit cool.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

amidnightproject wrote:Some machining oil would be good as well. Drop some in hole to keep the bit cool.
Use LOTS of oil. Drilling steel is easy if you don't overheat your bits.
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

Magdrill : All holes done in 1/2 hour with 1 bit, clean holes, no effort.

Regular drill: Almost a full day, multiple bits, rat nasty unperpendicular holes, eat your wheaties.

Magdrill is by far worth it.
~ Matt
telehead

Post by telehead »

Drill a pilot hole, 3/16 to 1/4 first. Then drill your larger hole at a very slow speed. Slow speed is the key, and of course, use oil. I usually use "Rapid Tap" it is a very good machining oil. Also, if you don't know how, learn how to sharpen a drill bit. Keep them cool, and sharp. With that said, you will have no problem and it will go way faster than you think....