FreeShaper adjustable ski press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

yack

FreeShaper adjustable ski press

Post by yack »

Hi everybody!

On the french ski builders community we started to elaborate a ski/snowboard press which we can adjust easily to our needs. We red a lot on this forum and on others... We tried to take the best "technology" of each press style for our press.
You can find the topic here:http://www.freeshaper.com/snow/vforum.php?id=17489

I could write a lot about this, but I think a pictures would be better to explain what we plan to build.... The project is not finished, but it can give you some ideas if you plan to build a (new) press.
Here can you see and download the 3d version:http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 2a7396ff31
We will use spring loaded ball transfer units under the base mold to create a sort of drawer. You can take the base mold out of the press and make your layup directly on the base mold.
When you are done with the layup you just have to push the drawer in the press. Then you lower the top mould and put the pressure in the fire hose....

On the picture you can see how we want to make the camber... We saw this on the Biidos press (previously Lacroix ski press)

What we started is quite a big project and we would like you to give us some critics, advises.... about this press
:D

Yack Malade
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

That looks awesome, I really like the idea of the rollers. That's what the floors look like in our freighter/tanker airplanes (I work for Boeing). Would make layup/pressing VERY easy! Good luck on building it!
ggardner90

Post by ggardner90 »

how can you adjust the mold for camber do you just change the bottom supports
yack

Post by yack »

That looks awesome, I really like the idea of the rollers. That's what the floors look like in our freighter/tanker airplanes (I work for Boeing). Would make layup/pressing VERY easy! Good luck on building it!
Thank you Twizzstyle! We will need a lot of luck for building that press
how can you adjust the mold for camber do you just change the bottom supports
ggardner90, do you see the pink plastic parts on the last picture? Those parts give the camber. In the middle of the camber the plastic part is bigger than the other one if you want to give a standard camber.....
duce1nik

Post by duce1nik »

Yack. How far apart are those adjuster plastic?
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

looks good guys. I love the roller ideas. Are you planning on using a full hyrdaulic system or a manual jacks? Another small detail I noticed on your drawing that may not be how you plan to build it but the base supports should extend out a few more feet. This style of press will be very top heavy. Good luck and keep posting progress.
yack

Post by yack »

duce1nik wrote:Yack. How far apart are those adjuster plastic?
I don't know how far they are on the birdos' press but you can count 17 or 18 adjuster plastic and you can imagine that he doesn't build skis taller than 2m..... about 10-12cm
looks good guys. I love the roller ideas. Are you planning on using a full hyrdaulic system or a manual jacks? Another small detail I noticed on your drawing that may not be how you plan to build it but the base supports should extend out a few more feet. This style of press will be very top heavy. Good luck and keep posting progress.
At the beginning I was planning to use full hydraulic system, but it is really expensive and heavy..... So we are looking for a cheaper alternative... I draw an other press...
Well... maybe it is not the best way to do it.... but at this time I don't have much time to work on it, cause I have my final exams.....but I will post some news in the following months :D

If you got some genius ideas for this press, don't hesitate to post a comment ;)
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

You need to use an air bladder for pressure, which I think you're already planning on?

Your "adjusters" need to not be plastic, and should run full width. To avoid deflection you are going to have to have a very thick bottom plate.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I like the slider idea, but I think you'll need quite a few of them with a very stiff bottom plate/mold or something so it will not deflect under pressure between the rollers. Keep us posted on your progress.
yack

Post by yack »

doughboyshredder wrote:You need to use an air bladder for pressure, which I think you're already planning on?

Your "adjusters" need to not be plastic, and should run full width. To avoid deflection you are going to have to have a very thick bottom plate.
Why shouldn't I use plastic adjusters? I planned to use ABS for the adjusters... I mean ABS is quite robust, right?
I like the slider idea, but I think you'll need quite a few of them with a very stiff bottom plate/mold or something so it will not deflect under pressure between the rollers. Keep us posted on your progress.
I don't exactly remember the number of roller ball unit I will need, but it was something like 20-25 rollers... Maybe I forgot to tell you, but the roller I will use are spring loaded, so they can stay under pressure without any problem...

I bought 6 samples of spring loaded ball transfer unit.... each cost me 15.5 USD

A picture is always better than words... so this picture should give a good answer to your question.....
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Spring loaded rollers, great idea!
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

yack wrote:
Why shouldn't I use plastic adjusters? I planned to use ABS for the adjusters... I mean ABS is quite robust, right?
I suspect you're unaware of the forces we're dealing with here.

Plastic is not the correct material.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

take a look at the compressive strength of abs and you'll know it won't work...