New press design-manual hydraulic

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

COsurfer

New press design-manual hydraulic

Post by COsurfer »

I am in the process of building a new press and wanted to document the progress. My goal was to make a professional grade press with a hydraulic lift. I taught myself how to weld so I could fabricate this beast in my shop. So far so good!

The bottom 2 I-beams are fixed. The top 2 beams will slide up and down within the tube steel guides. I still need to weld on end caps so the beams do not shoot out the sides of the press. I will use manual hydraulic bottle jacks on each end to lift the beams. Eventually, I will replace these with a true hydraulic system. I plan on filling in under the bottom I-beams with 3x6 tube steel so I will have a second press cavity. FYI-I found all this steel on craigslist for $700! more details to come
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Dude that thing is a beast! Looking great so far, I'm jealous!

Congrats on picking up welding - it's a skill everyone should have. Are you doing flux core, MIG, TIG?
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Thanks Twizz, I took your advice from this forum and bought a Hobart 140 MIG. I added the 75argon/25 CO2 gas as well. I love it and it works so well. Thanks for the advice because I had no idea which welder to buy!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Awesome!!! I'm still loving my Hobart! I actually just picked up a new tank of gas yesterday (also using the argon/CO2 mix), took me nearly 2 years to use up the first tank. I don't do a ton of welding, but I do a fair amount and I'm surprised how long it lasted. Sooo much better than flux core welding! I've got a big weekend ahead of me welding parts for my CNC machine, woohoo!
MadRussian

Re: New press design-manual hydraulic

Post by MadRussian »

great job looks good.
COsurfer wrote: I will use manual hydraulic bottle jacks on each end to lift the beams.
how about two short pieces of fire hose at the end? maybe loop around like horseshoe. Even small diameter hose should work
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

I love welding. I am so excited to just weld stuff! I may never use another bolt again.
how about two short pieces of fire hose at the end? maybe loop around like horseshoe. Even small diameter hose should work
Great idea! I ended up buying two air powered hydraulic bottle jacks so that I can just use my compressor. I will post some new pics tomorrow.
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Wow! Press envy. The hydraulic lift is a great idea. That will make loading and unload so much easier.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Really damn cool! How are you going to hold the top beams down when pressing? Surely the jacks aren't enough to hold against the firehose?
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

thanks Skidesmond and Twizz!
How are you going to hold the top beams down when pressing? Surely the jacks aren't enough to hold against the firehose?
Good question and I am still up for suggestions if you have any. My thought is to find the rough location where the press will settle down on the mold and drill some holes in the two TS upright beams and place a 1" round rod all the way through that can be pulled when lifting the top beams. Image I am not welding the pumps to the beam just because they are Harbor Freight and chance are they wont last for years!
vinman

Post by vinman »

WHat about a bladder over the top beam to hold it down? It would require another beefy beam on the top but you could just have a very small space just wide enough for a bladder to fit ad then inflate it to hold the top cavity beam in place.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

Nice work COsurfer!
Before you weld to much...

This might be what you really would like to build :D You could put the Jacks on top instead..?

Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Thanks Skidesmond and deepskis.

Initially, I wanted to build a Langzauner style press but for some reason the hydraulics are super expensive. Even a manual pump is like $400-$500 plus all the cylinders($200+ ea.). I am not sure why you can buy a 20 ton bottle jack for $100 but trying to build a hydraulic system is going to be $2,000. I may still try it by pricing out used equipment to make it cheaper. The Langzauner is the perfect system and I don't think they even use an air bladder. The press puts out 200,000 pounds of pressure.
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Video:
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I'm speechless.... that is way too cool! Looks like it works great!