CNC Router build

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Wow Twizz you really stepped it up a notch (or 2 or 3)! Will you be profiling your skis as well as shaping with the CNC?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

skidesmond wrote:Wow Twizz you really stepped it up a notch (or 2 or 3)! Will you be profiling your skis as well as shaping with the CNC?
That's the hope... but time will tell. (already preparing myself emotionally for ripped off sidewalls!)
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

twizzstyle wrote:
skidesmond wrote:
That's the hope... but time will tell. (already preparing myself emotionally for ripped off sidewalls!)
Profile core.

Profile sidewall.

Rip profiled sidewall

Attach.

No emotional pain.

Still surprised when I see people trying to profile with sidewalls attached. Much easier ways....
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Profile core.

Profile sidewall.

Rip profiled sidewall

Attach.

No emotional pain.

Still surprised when I see people trying to profile with sidewalls attached. Much easier ways...
AGREED100%! Twizz, I tried for months to figure out how to not rip the Ptex sidewalls off. Its so much easier to do the above.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Looky what I did just now :)

Got all the holes drilled for the t-nuts (had the machine do the drilling, of course, 126 holes total, it was the first test operation of the machine and it did it without a hitch!)

Then I grabbed a big piece of scrap MDF and clamped it down with some quick squeezy clamps, just for the hell of it, to cut out one of my skis. 5 minutes later I had the above.

Needless to say, I am so damn proud of the beast I have created!!! :D 8)

Still some fine tuning to do in a few spots. I don't like how the z-axis mounts to the y-axis, but I have a solution in mind that should make it better. I have a TINY amount of freeplay there right now. X-axis is SOLID. Also need to actually setup the dust collection properly.
falls

Post by falls »

Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

:D :D :D
artski

Post by artski »

That is awesome!! I covet, just wish I could afford.

Damn this skibuilding can be expensive
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Right on! looks great!
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

Looks great, nice work!!
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Amazing.

Most impressive is that you still managed to keep everything square with that much welding. Did you pay attention to your weld pattern, or did you just get lucky?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

doughboyshredder wrote:Amazing.

Most impressive is that you still managed to keep everything square with that much welding. Did you pay attention to your weld pattern, or did you just get lucky?
Has to be luck - I like to consider myself pretty good at the metal work I do, but I am totally self-taught, so... certainly no expert. I jigged everything up pretty solid before welding, then I tack welded things at the edges to keep it as it was jigged. That's usually how I do stuff - then do solid beads in between the tacks. Good method? Bad?

I took the entire thing apart today, cleaned it up and re-painted. Then re-assembled with gloves on to keep it all clean, looks real nice now! Just for fun I cut out a mini-ski with "stumpysticks" in the middle out of 1/4" MDF, to hang over the door of the shop. This thing rocks.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

twizzstyle wrote:
Has to be luck - I like to consider myself pretty good at the metal work I do, but I am totally self-taught, so... certainly no expert. I jigged everything up pretty solid before welding, then I tack welded things at the edges to keep it as it was jigged. That's usually how I do stuff - then do solid beads in between the tacks. Good method? Bad?
That's pretty much how you have to do it. If you weld one side completely without tacking the other you get pretzels.

There are a lot of gates out there that look like potato chips, because the builder welds one side completely and then flips it over and welds the other side.

Really impressive work. Looking forward to seeing you up on the hill with your new creations which I am sure will come.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

One thing I've been dying to do with this thing, before I even get to making new skis - I want to get some topo data of snoqualmie pass and machine a relief map of the valley (from alpy to hyak). Will probably just do it in foam and them spray some gel coat over it? Going to be hard finding usable data though.
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X