CNC drag knife

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

COsurfer

CNC drag knife

Post by COsurfer »

For all you with a CNC here is a great tool for cutting out base. It is made by Donek snowboards. Here is the link. www.donektools.com The key with his tool is generating the correct tool paths. With your purchase he sends a tutorial on how to create toolpaths. I have been using it for a few weeks and it love it!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

That's pretty sweet. Does it have it's own bearings, or does it rely on the spindle to free caster?

I've been experimenting with my own handmade drag knifes, ground from 1/8" carbide drill blanks, and have been having mixed results.

The carbide blanks are about $8 though, so it's hard for me to swallow $230. That's why I'm curious about bearings, etc
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

It has a freely rotating bearing and i leave my spindle free as well. I tried the grinded shank as well but could never get the blade to run straight. It wobbled on me. I think the blade style keeps it pointed in a consistant line. I have tried tried many different bits and none of them work. I paid $180 for it, he must have raised his price.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Make sure to assemble your matching pieces on the same day. Minor temp differences make the pieces swell and become unusable quickly (found this out the hard way). Nice cut!
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
bobbyrobie

Post by bobbyrobie »

Looks pretty sweet! I need a drag knife for my cnc.
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

This tool looks great! However, 229 dollar seems way too much in my opinion. This just consist of two small steel parts and two bearings? And of course a lot of R&D from the guys behind it. Looks like a nice new DIY project after my CNC router is completed ;)

Anyone got close up images of this tool? Are the bearing pressed into the holder?
Make things as simple as possible, but not too simple
doneksnow

Post by doneksnow »

If it were easy, there would a lot of them out there. I've experimented with and used drag knives since 2000. I have sold a number of them to various snowboard manufacturers and now numerous other industries. You could invest a hundred hours in development, but you have to ask yourself how much your time it is worth. While my first attempt worked for a few cuts, you'll quickly find that there are a lot of subtleties that can make or break your attempts. When you consider that competing technologies like tangential knives start at $5000 as an add on to an existing cnc, $229 is a minor investment to have a tool that has over 10 years of development, testing and success.
doneksnow

a

Post by doneksnow »

If it were easy, there would a lot of them out there. I've experimented with and used drag knives since 2000. I have sold a number of them to various snowboard manufacturers and now numerous other industries. You could invest a hundred hours in development, but you have to ask yourself how much your time it is worth. While my first attempt worked for a few cuts, you'll quickly find that there are a lot of subtleties that can make or break your attempts. When you consider that competing technologies like tangential knives start at $5000 as an add on to an existing cnc, $229 is a minor investment to have a tool that has over 10 years of development, testing and success.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

We're not worthly!!! :D
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

That was so well said it had to be said twice! Actually though, a dragknife is a no-brainer...12 bucks for a .125 drill blank at McMaster Carr and a diamond wheel...hello.
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

You can't beat the precision you get with this drag blade for only $229. It's well worth the small cost and you can tell Donek put a lot of time into the design. I can customize my bases to any design and that is fricken sweeeeet!
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Here's a pro tip...NEVER do a dye cut with black base, especially if you're using a high carbon, etc. When you base grind the lighter color streaks. Always. And yea, again. 12 dollar drill blank. Exact. Same. Thing. As beautiful as that dragon looks (and it does) when you base grind that shit there are going to be black streaks through the yellow.

CO, I know...and I'm so glad this works for you! Seriously! I hope you have an AWESOME winter!
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

sorry B, we use 4001 and 2001 and iso 7200 grade black base and white and red and green and orange and never had that problem. Something was awry with what you had, maybe graphite or carbon base for sure but reg old black ptex? No prob.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

We use black base on all our boards with white, yellow, red and blue die cuts, never had a "streaking" problem.