Flame treatment

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

JoseSnow

Flame treatment

Post by JoseSnow »

Hi! I am flame treating my uhmw sidewalls. I am using Propane/Butane gas for the torch because it is the easiedt to find.. Should the gas be only propane or all of them come with butane? Is somebody ere using this gas?
Thanks!!!
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

In the video section you'll see a lot of good custom builders using MAPP gas. I suspect MAPP is being used becasue it burns more cleanly and approximates the technical requirements of the oxygen content more closely???

What method are you using to confirming the results of any flame treatment?
Last edited by Richuk on Wed May 29, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoseSnow

Post by JoseSnow »

Tocobfirm I am using the water deop method and the test method :). I test diferent distances and power in the torch. Never heard of mapp gas. So you recomend me that one?
Thanks richuck!!
JoseSnow

Post by JoseSnow »

Is mapp gas the same for welding??
artski

Post by artski »

Mapp is NOT used for welding, it is used much the same as propane or butane. Welding gasses are inert, mapp is not inert it is volatile.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Hey man, I was highlighting an alternative option based upon video content and reading. Don't be too pursuaded. Propane is just fine too. It's not so difficult to find, set up is cheaper and the cylinders can be re-used. I switched over because the propane bottle available locally wasn't producing a quality flame - local conditions, bad batch ... I put it down to how damp the air can be here, but who knows. Eitherway, it is a simple set up, one handheld cannister and screw-on torch.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p71066

I will need to look at this again in the future, as these cannisters need to be re-usable.

DBS has always talked about using a propane torch. Worthington appears to be a good brand in the US - blue propane bottle. Might be worth checking the specs/technical data.

The key issue is method and it sounds like you have this sorted!!! So a small nozzle, a bright blue flame, good surface prep and you are good to go! ))
JoseSnow

Post by JoseSnow »

Thanks Richuck!

Actually today the tests I did all of them bonded to the fiber. The only thing I figured out is that the water drop test does not work for me or it just work the other way. The water drop I put in the Uhmw that bonds does not expand at all.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Hmm ... it should )))
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

artski wrote: Welding gasses are inert, mapp is not inert it is volatile.
Except for acetylene which can be used for gas welding and normalizing, it is volatile.
If we want to argue semantics. All welding gases are not inert.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Read this link for good flaming info. Specifically the bottom right on the last page.

http://www.epoxyworks.com/26/pdf/Gluing ... _Gflex.pdf

Interesting hat hey find hat wiping with alcohol and flaming together creates a stronger bond.

I personally don't do this but their results and testing methods look good.

For the big brains in the room
http://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... e7e2cc.pdf

Good info on testing
http://www.npl.co.uk/upload/pdf/depc_mp ... oating.pdf
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
sammer

Post by sammer »

Vinman wrote: hat hey find hat
I say this to myself on the way out the door on bluebird days

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
falls

Post by falls »

good one sammer!
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
vinman

Post by vinman »

Ha!!! Oops , never claimed to be good at typing. Might be an auto correct victim on that one.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Re: NPL Report, page 6 and 7.

Does Crown still have that video online demonstrating the water break test? It takes some of the guess work out of interpretation of the results, as it is a great indicator of good method.

Page 6 appears to suggest that the water droplet tests can be tricky to interpret. Those USB microscopes are quite cheap! (haha)

If anyone is thinking about alternatives to UHMWPE, there are plenty of options already discussed, although re-cycled plastics haven't appeared much. They are a lot cheaper and the 'mixed' content is helpful to obtaining a good bond - more porous or perhaps the binder used aids bonding?
vinman

Post by vinman »

yes they still have those videos up.
http://www.crownplastics.com/resources/videos