Sublimation press - heat barrier

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Dimitar

Sublimation press - heat barrier

Post by Dimitar »

Preparing for the next season, we are building new pneumatic press for sublimation. The heating system is 4 kW. It reaches 200 C degrees for about 30 minutes. The aluminium sheet is 8 mm. Everything looks great but we can`t find proper material for heat insulation. We tested the press with MDF boards below and above the aluminium. But the MDF is smoking too much and obviously it is not a good solution at all.

What kind of material do you use for heat insulation, guys? Is it teflon or something similar? What thickness?

Teflon is quite expensive here. We sent a request to local company for 10 mm. teflon sheet and the offer was for thousands of euro... :D

So if you have any thoughts about this please let us know.

Thanks
Dimitar
prospectsnow

Post by prospectsnow »

Ceramic oven insulation. Cheap.
Ceramic plates are better. Expensive.
We have snowboard and kiteboard build kits!
https://prtahoe.com/collections/build-kits
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I was thinkin cement board. Like hardy backer stuff they use in bathrooms but i havnt tried it.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
catalystsnowboards

Post by catalystsnowboards »

Cement board works well in our sub press, its a bit brittle, but its cheap and has never caused a problem in 5 or 6 years.
Dimitar

Post by Dimitar »

We found some magnesium boards, which are similar to the cement boards, but they are more resistant to heat and pressure. Thanks for the replies, guys. We`ll let you know for the result.