Presta valve hose 100% seal no pressure value

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

athapoto

Presta valve hose 100% seal no pressure value

Post by athapoto »

I have finally finished and planted my home portable press for one ski each time. The press was planned to build with maximum working pressure at 35 psi.

Everything looked fine when sealing the hose using angles,screws,Teflon tape etc.I used the bicycle tire valve cause i couldn't afford an air compressor. When i tested the hose (temporarily with holders) there was no air leak but no sing of pressure on the pressure meter of the foot pump. I thought that this had to do with the fact that there was no resistance on the hose. ( i tried to fill with air only the inside of the bicycle tire and also got no pressure value). When I finally build the press and test it had no value of pressure but the hose was filled with air and felt, when i touched it, like rock. Also tried 4 other kind of foot pumps ,cause mine was low quality, and had the same problem. Does anyone tried this with a bicycle valve and foot pump here? Had the same problems? How can i get pressure value? Another way of the getting pressure value? Thanks instead

PS. the press 'worked' like this for 12 hours and no leaks where noticed. Also i want to put rods under the upper angles to give them more space so i can fill in the hose with more air. I know its something low cost but i havent got many free workspace and i have to use the press inside my flat.

(Some of the hose photos are not official cause i took them while i was working)

athapoto

Post by athapoto »

Everything goes well i found the solution had to give 3cm space for the hose to get more and and to fill the hose with MUCH more air....
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

Ya with many bike pumps the pressure gauges are very inaccurate and often break. So i would recommend buying a quality tire pressure gauge witch will give you a much more accurate reading. However i don't know if they make ones that are presta compatible. My friend who races motocross use a tire pressure gauge for everything he does on two wheels and just pumps up the tires then checks it with the gauge afterwards.

Also the press is looking great. Nice and compact. :D
athapoto

Post by athapoto »

I have made a research about external gauges you can find for both presta and car type valves. As for the pump mine pump isnt compatible with presta valve i use and adaptor that has also an O-ring that makes it more sealable and you flow into presta with car pump.

https://www.google.gr/search?q=adaptor+ ... 2CWP)BOeu9(UDcw~~60_12.JPG%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.co.uk%252Fitm%252FBrass-Presta-to-Schrader-adaptor-valve-bicycle-bike-car-dust-cap-pump-connector-%252F260858731318%3B500%3B500
g-ram

Post by g-ram »

Solid work. I truly admire the dedication to the hand pump. love it!