Finished pneumatic press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

powderho

Post by powderho »

BCCB wrote:I have been doing some research in anticipation of building my first press. So far seems like I-beams are the only way to go.
BCCB
Definitely not the only way to go. A properly built "Mongo-style" press will not deflect enough to effect camber at all. Guys are building presses out of wood and straps and getting great results. An the there's always vacuum molding. While you're researching look around for used, or scrap, steel. See what you can find and build the press around the materials you got.
EricW

Post by EricW »

If you have the cash, I-Beams are the way to go in my opinion. $1300 in material for the beams alone is what I was quoted.

If you want details on HeadMonkey's press, go Here

His blog in general is wealth of information.
BCCB

Post by BCCB »

Was $1300 for new/used or scrap beams? How big were you trying to go?
CAPTAINoCRUNCH

Post by CAPTAINoCRUNCH »

Very simple design, I'm hoping to imitate it for my first pneumatic press as well.
BCCB

Post by BCCB »

CAPTAINoCRUNCH wrote:Very simple design, I'm hoping to imitate it for my first pneumatic press as well.
Hola CapoCrunch

What size beams are you thinking? I have no idea what to look for. I have a few places locally but now sure what size to ask for??
CAPTAINoCRUNCH

Post by CAPTAINoCRUNCH »

BCCB wrote:
CAPTAINoCRUNCH wrote:Very simple design, I'm hoping to imitate it for my first pneumatic press as well.
Hola CapoCrunch

What size beams are you thinking? I have no idea what to look for. I have a few places locally but now sure what size to ask for??
Check out my thread viewtopic.php?t=2879 to get an idea of my situation.

My engineering knowledge and ski building experience is really low compared to a lot of the members here, but http://911research.wtc7.net/mirrors/gua ... -beams.htm gives you a nice starting place as far as beams are concerned.

Another user here recommended the program beamboy to calculate how much stress specific beams can handle before they deflect (or worse). I found it very easy to use and definitely worth checking out before you buy your steel (just fyi: I was quoted no lower than $900 for a 20' W12x35 beam, so unless you're got cash to burn I'd start looking at craigslist and scrapyards).
BCCB

Post by BCCB »

Was head monkey using w12x40 beam? Wouldnt that be 12" wide? If so then it looks like his press is made of 4 main beams 2 on top 2 on bottom connected with 2 short pieces on the ends.

I want to do both boards and ski's but am wondering about width of the beams....I was thinking that 12 inch wide beam would be enough for the press but now realize that there needs to be room on the outside. Sorry completely new to this been reading a lot though.

How wide an area do I need for boards? I was thinking 8 foot beams too.

Lots of scrap yards in my area and steel manufacturing....do the recycling yards sell? Looks like used steel might be a better option for the savings.
Cheers 'en,

BCCB
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

BCCB wrote:Was head monkey using w12x40 beam? Wouldnt that be 12" wide?...
W12x40 beam is about 12 inches tall with 8 inch wide flanges.

http://www.engineersedge.com/standard_m ... erties.htm

-S
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

BCCB wrote:I have been doing some research in anticipation of building my first press. So far seems like I-beams are the only way to go. I was hoping to try something lighter weight that can be broken down into sections and moved if need be.

Mongo was having trouble with his camber and seems like if I would have the trouble he is having that it would be better to do I-beams that can be unbolted.

What size I-beam am I looking for? What is lightest weight I can expect if I go this route?

Anyone know of places that source this kind of structural steel?

Thanks alot bros!

BCCB
I was having camber or press deflection problems? News to me...see below link for breakdown of deflection testing after my latest press was completed. I haven't noticed a problem with my camber not matching my molds post finishing so everything has still been good.

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 7&start=45

The big question is how much do you want it to weigh and how confident you are in your welding abilities. If you build a spaceframe style press, you should be able to build it for sub $400 for the steel and be able to carry it around assembled easily with two people. Mine breaks down into 4 sub components that take me 2 trips to the pickup by myself to move. If you are going to go with I-Beams, and don't already have the resource on hand, go to the library and grab both Statics and Mechanics of Materials books for the bend calcs and all of the I-Beam information you need to figure out what materials are necessary and where you might need additional center supports.
BCCB

Post by BCCB »

I was checking out a thread on a similar press to mongos rather and they were having deflection problems not camber problems, appologies. They had added supports to the mid sections that lock into place aswell but still had trouble.

COsurfer also experienced some deflec at first before adding his additional supports to the tube press.

I have located a scrap yard that deals with new used scrap but have not decided on size of beams.

I have never welded before. I have sweat copper plumbing and used a plasma cutter once....also don't own a welder. If I do Ibeam or square tube I am considering the same angle iron/thread as cosurfer to start with.

I guess I need to start my own thread sorry for the highjacking monkey!

BCCB