Fusion 360 discussions

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

Fusion 360 discussions

Post by vinman »

In my jump to CNC I am learning F360 and I was wondering if anyone else uses it? Its kind of a tough learning curve trying to self teach this stuff but it is starting to begin to make sense. Autodesk has some great video tutorials out there that can get you up to speed on the basics.

Some things I'd like to discuss is types of tool paths and what the various parameters in F360 mean
*3d tool path set up
*various too path parameters and what they do/mean

And just start some conversation on this aspect of ski/board design nd construction.

So to start, what type of 3d path are you using to profile your cores. It seems like there are a few ways this can be done. It seems like 3d parallel would work well and this is what I've been playing with. But I'm having a tough time making it do exactly what I'm looking for.

So any info some of you have about F360 or 3d machining, 2d for that matter also, is welcome.[/list][/list]
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
vinman

Post by vinman »

Spent the better part of an afternoon figuring out that you have to check your drawings very closely. Just because you have a closed body doesn't mean that there aren't stray line extensions that might screw up the geometry selections in your tool path.

Somethings are just learned the hard way.😤 But I'm now getting a handle on this part of things.

F360 is really pretty cool but requires that you put some real time into learning how to use it.

I hope they add drag knife paths soon.
Minga

Post by Minga »

we ve been using Fusion360 for about a year now. Great piece of software, but it has some bugs and problems here and there. Their forum is actually of great help, too. The Fusion team is commited to help.

For core profiling I would suggest parallel mode.

Cheers,
Hannes
JSquare

Post by JSquare »

Ditto. I do a pocket the cut most the meat off and then finish with parallel. You can do some clever stuff, by adjusting height values. I've done some more complex parts too like a guitar neck and a hatchet handle.
JSquare

Post by JSquare »

Ditto. I do a pocket the cut most the meat off and then finish with parallel. You can do some clever stuff, by adjusting height values. I've done some more complex parts too like a guitar neck and a hatchet handle.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I'm starting to make some great progress in F360. I'm much more comfortable drawing and set up tool paths.

My cnc is getting close to being ready to do some test cuts.

Does anyone have some favorite places they like to buy end mills and bits?
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

My friend is currently building a CNC. He is great at all the fabrication stuff but needs some help with the computer setup stuff. I am attempting to help but don't really know either.
A question, As F360 tool paths and then creates the Gcode, do we still need something like Mach3? I would think no but am probably wrong.
He has purchased the Red fly to make life easier. Anyone used one?
https://buildyourcnc.com/item/cnc-compu ... tem-redFly
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

You still need a software to control your CNC. Mach3 is probably the cheapest and easiest software for hobbyists.
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Hi Chrismp, thanks for your answer. Mach 3 over mach 4 hobby?

I have been messing round with tool Pathing fusion. Do you do this or do it in mach 3?
Any tips for new players?
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

I don't use Mach (my CNC has a proprietary system), so I can't really help you with that.

Mach is not able to generate toolpaths, it's just a software to control your CNC based on the g-code you feed it. As for creating toolpaths, again my CNC has a proprietary system. Fusion seems to be a popular and quite capable choice these days...the learning curve looks pretty steep though (won't be much easier for other CAM software I guess). So learning Fusion to design your skis and create toolpaths seems like a good option.