New Ski Making Workshop - Complete with Press et all!

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

cambillaskis.co.uk

Can of Worms

Post by cambillaskis.co.uk »

It seems if have opened up a big debate on the design of a ski press.

Heleski - I think your reply was a bit off key. You may have years of experience of working with metal, but my current job revolves around using structural steal on a daily basis. Mechanical engineers know about I beams but only graze the surface.

Any how, its not my nature to get into an argument, thats what the forum is here for the encourage debate.

To clarify for those, the steels are structural. It means that the are made from one bilet of steel that comes out of a factory in a rectangle. It is then forced through rollers that make the steel into a forged shape. This gives the steel great strength as oposed to a welded beam, which i agree strongly with all would fail at a much lower load due to the load being its strongest at the welds which are the weakest point of a non-structural I beam.

Thanks for everyones coments. Deflection is the real worry of the press. I have calculated what it should theoreticaly deflect but it wont find out until i do a test run and measure the true deflection.

Three31 - Your point about welding plates. The photos i think at the begining show the front plates that are on the end steels to provide the extra structural integrity.

I've just been on holiday and will post the designs and drawings to answer the many questions.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Heliski you are completely wrong. sorry.

The pic I posted from E- Funda is exactly how I - Beams are to be oriented.

Your pic suggests that in fact the flange should be horizontal. That is absolutely 100% incorrect. The flange of an I-Beam should always be vertical.

I am done arguing this. If you can find anything supporting your opinion I highly suggest you post it.
jeff@shaggys

Post by jeff@shaggys »

Doughboy, Your picture is completely correct, but the vertical component is called the web and the two horizontile plates are known as the flange(s) i think you may have the terms confused. Using the beam with the web in the vertical position allows the beam to be fully utilized, in this orientation you are using the strength of the web which inreases the strength of the beam exponentially with the greater distance between the flanges.
The press pictured may very well be fine but when looking at over 10 tons of pressure (high pressure airbag) you always want to be careful.

For more information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-beam
skishaggys.com
doughboyshredder

thanks SCC, I was calling the web the flange.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

use lots of thick-ass bolts
Doug
heliski989

interesting fact

Post by heliski989 »

A 1" grade 8 Bolt is only as strong as 1" of a 3/8 fillet weld.
doughboyshredder

http://www.americanfastener.com/technic ... _steel.asp

A grade 8 1" bolt has a yield strength of 130,000 psi.

Are you suggesting that a 3/8" thick fillet weld 1" long has the same yield strength?

If so can you post how you came up with that? I am curious.
heliski989

made it up in my head

Post by heliski989 »

that is a fact that i learned in the 1st week of welding class. It was 6 yrs ago. you can find the calc. online if you want. as far as rod if you had a 13018 rod it would have a strength of 130000 psi
doughboyshredder

dude, don't be so defensive.

I looked for some calculation on this and couldn't find it. I have no formal education in welding, and I have always been curious as to how to compare the strength of a weld to a bolt.
camhard

Post by camhard »

i dont know about calculating or comparing to bolts. but that doesnt surprise me a whole lot. I do know that a proper weld should be at least as strong as the metal that was joined. so if you were to weld steel, it should be pretty solid. that doesnt really help, but i havent posted anything in a while.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

only if its welded properly with the right thickness, etc.

The only welds i've seen blow out in a press were because the press was literally torched in half for transportation, then welded together in a spot where the beam deflection pretty much sheared it, just a result of a need to move the thing and not planning it out thoroughly.
if you weld it near the ends like most do here it should be fine. I prefer bolts because you can take the thing apart instead of having to cut it apart.
Doug
cambillaskis.co.uk

The 2008/2009 Season Ski Designs Launched - Custom Grpahics

Post by cambillaskis.co.uk »

This year we launch our first range of skis. The ski press is all but finished (pics to follow) and we've been working hard on our designs.

Check out this years range at:

http://www.cambilla.co.uk/cambillaskis/skis.htm

Our clothing range and technical range to be launched with skis at the metro ski show 2008 in October.

Any comments welcome.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

Looks awesome, great site, designs look good, i think, of course i'm a snowboarder so I wouldnt know any better ;). I hope they come out great.
Doug