New Ski Making Workshop - Complete with Press et all!

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

cambillaskis.co.uk

New Ski Making Workshop - Complete with Press et all!

Post by cambillaskis.co.uk »

Cambilla Skis started during out season in Argentina in 2006. It was to be a sister company to our clothing line, Cambilla Clothing Co. With help from Faction Skis and this website we have now sourced our materials, have a core team of designers, both technical and graphical, and a workshop to produce them in. Because we want to be completly independant and have control over the whole process we have opted to not outsource the production like many companies do.

So over the next couple of weeks we will be building the press, most of which is made from recycled materials, and creating a ski builders dream of a workshop. I will be posting photos and video links as things progress.

Feel free to check out our website listed below.

Our first line of skis is due for release in early October.

Will Goodwin
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Livin the dream! Hope it all works for you.
ra
cambillaskis.co.uk

The Press Takes Shape

Thanks, living the dream indeed!
cambillaskis.co.uk

The Press Takes Shape 2

Well here are the first photos of the press, total cost of it so far £0! Got all the steels free from a site where they were being skipped. Result!

Will
heliski989

be carefull

Post by heliski989 »

You should be careful if you plan to attach the beams the way they are sitting, that is not the way they are designed to be used. Should you ever get close to a destructive load, we will never know. but I would be worried if you were pressing over 40psi.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Okay, I'll bite....
Please explain your coment about the beams not being mounted as shown. I don't understand it and believe that I have seen them set in this manner for construction. Is it that they are working against each other?
Thanks in advance for the information.
rockaukum
heliski989

beam pressure

Post by heliski989 »

The way that you you have them set up will be very much opposite of how you have seen them in construction. You are pulling on the beam rather than pushing, it is only using the flange to support all of the force. i will get back to you with a drawing as soon as i can. it will be much easier to explain that way.
cambillaskis.co.uk

Yes they were not designed to be used like this. But i am a civil engineer and using what i've learnt have worked out that this is fine for a ski press. Maybe not so for a bridge but fine for a ski press. The forces are transmitted by both parts of an I beam. The only issue is the force in the middle may bend the edges slightly as the end sections are perpendicular to the plane they were designed to take the forces in. But for a ski press they should hold. Centre bracing in the middle to keep the beams from buckling outward are being added to ensure that this 'explosion' does not happen!
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

Besides the size of the beams and a gap between them, this is the same configuration as Dan from Graf snowboards and Headmonkey's isnt it?

What are the sizes of your beams?
cambillaskis.co.uk

Yes it is the same design. Can't remember dimension but they are heafty I beams, especially the two in the middle. Gap will allow for air pipes to get in, and electrics for heating the press.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUk0Ps2tBYk&NR=1

watch video, pause at 1.24 where it shows my design being used in another profesional press.
doughboyshredder

Re: be carefull

Post by doughboyshredder »

heliski989 wrote:You should be careful if you plan to attach the beams the way they are sitting, that is not the way they are designed to be used. Should you ever get close to a destructive load, we will never know. but I would be worried if you were pressing over 40psi.
You are wrong.

From efunda : http://www.efunda.com/math/areas/RolledSteelBeamsW.cfm

[/img]
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

cambilla, I highly suggest that you look through that efunda site and determine exactly what size beam you have and what force it can withhold. From looking at it I would guess that those beams are not substantial enough to avoid deflection without also adding side supports.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

i dont think any affordable size beam is strong enough to withstand deflection when used the way we use them.

id say at least some bracing in the center should help, if not every 1.5feet or so
Doug
cambillaskis.co.uk

cambillaskis.co.uk wrote:Centre bracing in the middle to keep the beams from buckling outward are being added to ensure that this 'explosion' does not happen!
The centre braces will enable the press to take pressing loads for skis. They will be similare to those used by kingswood skis in there video on you tube. This will enable them to be easily clamped shut and opened for access to the press.

I will up load diagrams and technical drawings for you all to look at, and im sure critique!
heliski989

Im Wrong?

Post by heliski989 »

Civil Engineer eh? I understand that you can drill cores and prepare a geotech report's. I may listen to you should you have a mechanical, but ya dont. I have studied welding and metallurgy for 3 years and you are showing me how stony a beam is when you pressure it correctly. The fact of the matter is that you will tear the flange.