New Ski Snowboard Press

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

drews

New Ski Snowboard Press

Post by drews »

First I am working on building a super simple screwthread press that is a little better than the one on Grafsnowboards. So yeah working on that, going to hopefully have it be adjustable by running a few bolts through the end to adjust the 2X4s that run along the length so that I can make snowboards and skis!!
Last edited by drews on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

good luck!!! you'll probably want to move on from screwthread after a few pairs or boards, but you gotta start somewhere! ;)
Doug
drews

thanks

Post by drews »

Thanks I am thinking about trying a few different ways other than air pressure to produce an immense amount of pressure, and I was thinking car jacks but don't know how I would spread the weight evenly. Any other ideas? But I think as I am really good at doing things with my hands I can get a good snowboard and a good pair of skis with the screw thread press.
Last edited by drews on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

drews,

You mention you are in school. I just read 3 of your posts in a row, please ask a teacher how to properly form a sentence.
drews

Thanks

Post by drews »

Thanks I will pay more attention to my use of periods.
MartinJern

Post by MartinJern »

drews,

You mention you are in school. I just read 3 of your posts in a row, please ask a teacher how to properly form a sentence.
Are u serious???? who gives a shit... is this a forum for skibuilding or an english class?
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

MartinJern wrote:
drews,

Are u serious???? who gives a shit... is this a forum for skibuilding or an english class?
I give a shit.

It seems like every new builder here asks the same set of basic questions, which have been covered ad nauseam, and to top it all off the write like the are in the 2nd grade. The internet is NOT a text message, take the time to put your thoughts down intelligently.

Furthermore, he wants us to send him free materials. Why would I send anything to someone who presents themselves in such a manner? A few years ago I was in a similar situation; I wrote several very carefully worded letters and never heard back from a few companies, some companies discussed the project with me, and others just flat out shipped me materials.

MartinJern, you are from Sweden, yet you still type better on this forum then a guy from Colorado...
drews

Fine

Post by drews »

Fine like I was expecting any one to give me anything anyways...Really can we drop this, this is about ski building not arguing over how I can type and whether or not I use periods.
drews

Post by drews »

krp8128 wrote:
MartinJern wrote:
drews,

I give a shit.

It seems like every new builder here asks the same set of basic questions, which have been covered ad nauseam, and to top it all off the write like the are in the 2nd grade. The internet is NOT a text message, take the time to put your thoughts down intelligently.

Furthermore, he wants us to send him free materials. Why would I send anything to someone who presents themselves in such a manner? A few years ago I was in a similar situation; I wrote several very carefully worded letters and never heard back from a few companies, some companies discussed the project with me, and others just flat out shipped me materials.

MartinJern, you are from Sweden, yet you still type better on this forum then a guy from Colorado...
UGH UGH UGH enough on my sentence use who care this site is about ski building.

And by the way I wasn't asking questions and your right they all have been answered that is why I didn't ask.

SKI BUILDING
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

anyone catch the last episode of "built to shred" on Fuel TV?

The crazy fabricator guy had an amp head guy come and power everything with solar.

They built a solar power generator that...let me think...oh, it powered some saws.

The solar panels made up the flat bottom of a mini halfpipe they were skating.

They used the saws to build a wooden press frame, of course they had to use some wood glue. But they then used the wooden frame and a carjack, and an existing skateboard mold, to build hybrid laminate skate decks, that had one layer of hemp replacing one layer of maple, and I think a couple layers of bamboo.

That's a tall order for a snowboard. But anything is possible.
You could no doubt build a wood frame if you braced it correctly.
You could build a fabric frame as some have done.

If you're in an unshaded area you could probably use solar to heat your press.

you could rig a pump up to a stationary bicycle and pump up a tank and your press bladder, which I've seen people make out of the darndest things, like swimming pool liners!?!?

if you're daring, and you want to be the king, you'll figure out a way to make an electromagnetic press, and give me the patent ;).

or you cuold wrok on yuor splelign and grmamer

All I have to say about that is, thank god my home language is still the dominant one. I give props to all those who come on here speaking other languages and having to put up with us when we dont understand what you're asking. You all deserve to someday rule the ski/board industry :)
Doug
drews

Post by drews »

knightsofnii wrote:anyone catch the last episode of "built to shred" on Fuel TV?

The crazy fabricator guy had an amp head guy come and power everything with solar.

They built a solar power generator that...let me think...oh, it powered some saws.

The solar panels made up the flat bottom of a mini halfpipe they were skating.

They used the saws to build a wooden press frame, of course they had to use some wood glue. But they then used the wooden frame and a carjack, and an existing skateboard mold, to build hybrid laminate skate decks, that had one layer of hemp replacing one layer of maple, and I think a couple layers of bamboo.

That's a tall order for a snowboard. But anything is possible.
You could no doubt build a wood frame if you braced it correctly.
You could build a fabric frame as some have done.

If you're in an unshaded area you could probably use solar to heat your press.

you could rig a pump up to a stationary bicycle and pump up a tank and your press bladder, which I've seen people make out of the darndest things, like swimming pool liners!?!?

if you're daring, and you want to be the king, you'll figure out a way to make an electromagnetic press, and give me the patent ;).
Thanks for the tips I will have to come up with some ingenious idea and when it comes to me I will share it. So that is very cool I will put my brain to work!!
drews

Press

Post by drews »

The press is coming along nicely, I am going to try to get very cheap firehose so that I can get a good press so yeah.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Yo Drews, I f you are going hose stly I just made some fabric bags for shopvac and co. check my info in his thread. Still waiting to here if they are good to go, but I am pretty sure it's a good way to go.
1000 Denier Cordura nylon heavy duty.
I can make them super fast.
drews

Cloth bags

Post by drews »

I have seen them and I feel like I can probably make some with a little effort I can't wait until my press is up and running! but thanks for the idea it is ingenious.
drews

The Press

Post by drews »

Worked on the press today and my cores came in I am so excited just got to cut them and then plane them but first I have to finish the press! It is coming along nicely but with a drill that can hold a charge for an hour of good work it is pretty hard trying to get a good couple of hours in before it dies I guess I could just buy a new one but I am trying to save money. :D I can't wait for my first Skis and Board they should be awesome!!