Recurve Camber Snowboard Project

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Adroit707

Recurve Camber Snowboard Project

Post by Adroit707 »

Hey guys ive just started my project. Its for a school graduation requirement and im stoked to get started. Im working on building my snowboard mold now. Its a 157 with a recurve camber like the new Neversummer boards. Gunna see how that works out. Ill be taking alot of pictures so ill keep everyone posted.

Paul
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

lib did it first. On their skis. NS kind of bit it.
Adroit707

Post by Adroit707 »

Ok hey guys ive got alot of work done now. I just finished up the mold. If you would like to check it out look here at

http://adroit707.wordpress.com/

Everything is goin great. If anyone wants more information feel free to send me a pm or email me at Adroit707@gmail.com. Tell me watcha think.
doughboyshredder

Looks really good, but I am concerned that you don't have enough ribs in your mold. I would expect that under any significant pressure that thin of an aluminum sheet will seriously deflect between the ribs causing there to be serious ripples in you board.

keep it up.
Adroit707

Post by Adroit707 »

doughboyshredder wrote:Looks really good, but I am concerned that you don't have enough ribs in your mold. I would expect that under any significant pressure that thin of an aluminum sheet will seriously deflect between the ribs causing there to be serious ripples in you board.

keep it up.
I think it should be ok. My mentor is the owner of Happy Monkey Snowboards and before he did pneumatic presses he used vacuum presses with almost exactly the same dimesions and size. He used and recommended 4 ribs so it think it should be ok. And the aluminum is pretty thick and seems to be good but we'll find out once i get there. Thx
doughboyshredder

That's rad that Mike is helping you out. Very cool.
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

It just occurred to me that the pics of my old vacuum setup that I provided Adroit707 might be useful for others who are doing bagging. They’re all in one directory here, and they’re all really big… I recommend a bulk-download via FTP: http://www.happymonkeysnowboards.com/HM ... umbagging/ These are quite old… I don’t remember the exact year, but this was way back when I was vacuum bagging with the hot box to get an elevated temperature for the epoxy. IMO, a pneumatic press is so, so, so much better than bagging, but bagging is a great way to get started on the cheap. (I turned out some excellent boards that were bagged.)

Molds for vacuum bagging don’t need to be solid or have a lot of ribs… mine had 5, his has 4 which should be sufficient. There is no downward pressure on the mold skin when you build the bag on top. It’s the same reason a soap bubble is round: air presses on it equally from all sides. Thus, for the vacuum bag, air presses from the bottom and the top equally. The mold is simply to keep the aluminum skin in the right shape, and rigid enough, to bend the core. Given the bends in the aluminum skin, and the plate’s natural tendency to remain flat side-to-side when bent lengthwise, you end up with a nice flat board (edge-to-edge) with only the outer two mold ribs really holding the skin in place.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Adroit707 wrote: I think it should be ok.
If you are vacuum bagging then yeah, you'll be totally fine. You are putting even pressure on both sides of the aluminum (atmospheric pressure) so the aluminum won't bend at all once you put it under vacuum.

The problem would be if you were doing a firehose press, since you'd have more pressure on the top then bottom, then you would definately have problems.

Looks like a good project, well done.
brewster

Post by brewster »

Head Monkey wrote:IMO, a pneumatic press is so, so, so much better than bagging, but bagging is a great way to get started on the cheap.
Hi Mike,

Just stumbled across this thread and was curious if you could elaborate on your dislike of the vacuum bagging system.
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

brewster wrote:
Head Monkey wrote:IMO, a pneumatic press is so, so, so much better than bagging, but bagging is a great way to get started on the cheap.
Hi Mike,

Just stumbled across this thread and was curious if you could elaborate on your dislike of the vacuum bagging system.
Yes, I can elaborate. I’ll do it over in your thread about vacuum bagging, though, rather than hijack this guy’s journal thread…
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
Adroit707

Post by Adroit707 »

Hey guys. Im just about done with my first board. Just gotta grind down the edges and base, and drill out the inserts. Check out all my progress on my blog. www.adroit707.wordpress.com

Thanks
Paul
doughboyshredder

umm, why did you copy the graphics? Was that part of the requirement for the project? If not, I don't get it. You may be getting in to some trademark infringement and or copywright infringement. Did you get permission from Never Summer, or from the artist that did that piece for Never Summer?

The board looks good, congrats n finishing it. I would like to see some shots of the base and of the recurve (side view).
doughboyshredder

you did a great job, btw. Not many people pay the attention to detail necessary to get a good board on their first try. Good work.
Adroit707

Post by Adroit707 »

I really like the graphics. I dont expect to use this board too much and i was hoping people wouldn't tell on me=P. I could have done whatever graphic id like but i really like that one. For the next project i think ill erase the evo and the neversummer tag and change it to something else.

Yea its ok. I mean i did have some problems. I had some small gaps in the edges on the base and the air pocket on top. Ill post some pictures up later tonight once i get the edges and base ground down as well as the inserts drilled out.
doughboyshredder

using other peoples artwork without permission or compensation is lame. Don't do it again.