First set of skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

j-steezy763

First set of skis

Post by j-steezy763 »

things went smoothly for the most part just a few minor flaws,

2 questions
what can i put under the graphic that will stay white and not turn transparent?
there are a few small air pockets in the top sheet what is this from? whats the best way to prevent this?
Three31

Post by Three31 »

one question - that's your first pair??? Great job!!! The "Signature" graphic looks killer especially with the transparent background. I like how the sidewalls and wood shows through and the contrasting black "signature" graphic.

How few and how small are the air pockets in your top sheet? how many psi are you pressing at? are you using heat?

If your air bubbles are small (0.5-2mm dia.), that could be a result of working air into the epoxy while mixing and spreading.

If you have large pockets that is more likely due to air getting trapped under your top sheet. If this is the case, be more careful when laying down your top sheet and graphics.

Great job though!! how do they ski?
Brian
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

i guess you used rice paper for the graphics. well, there's no way to keep the unprinted areas of the paper from turning transparent.
i don't know how it would bond to the epoxy if you printed the rest of the paper in white though.
j-steezy763

Post by j-steezy763 »

took them for the first test today, they actually to my surprise skied great! I figured there would be something that i didn't like about how they skied, but there really wasn't. all and all a great ride. There are two air pockets each about 1cm wide and 2cm long I'm guessing they are from me rushing through laying them out being my first pair and all.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

for a first pair that is quite impressive, and the fact that they ski well. They actually look fun even though i havent skiied in almost 20 yrs.

if you want all white maybe just get a white topsheet and learn to screen print onto the top of it? i wanna get into screen printing even though subbing is so awesome
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

can also add white pigments to your epoxy, but it may come out swirly and cloudy, not sure. I'm gonna try doin some "resin swirls" with differnt colors in the epoxy.
Doug
j-steezy763

Post by j-steezy763 »

oh and there
127-92-118 True Center waist/true center mount
Urthane sidewalls
2.5mm edging
maple/popular core