Leaf Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

lucacasty

Post by lucacasty »

During Christmas holiday I had the possibility to test the new skis.
I was in LaThuile in the Italian Alps, near the Mont Blanc; we have been very lucky with snow and we had the possibility to test the skis both on prepared slopes and, in their natural enviroment, deep powder.
The skis have been tested by me and by many other skiers, among whom the entire ski patrol service of the resort and some pro-riders that are actually collaborating with some of the main ski producers on the market.
I'm really happy because the feedbacks have been relly positive and for me it has been a big satisfaction considering that these have been the first two pairs produced.
Mk 1.0 the fat one.
the ski turned aut to be really easy to use in deep snow, easy to turn in the trees but the perfect environment are the open spaces, infact it came out that the ski is incredibly fast (some noted it is faster than Volkl Kuro).
On the prepared slopes the ski is difficult to manage because of the reverse camber and you always have to stay on the edges to keep control but this is not the terrain for wich the ski has been thought.
Mk 1.1 the slim one.
the ski works weel both in powder and in hard snow.
It turned out to be quite stiff but the rocker helps to reduce the effort needed to manage it.
Tips are always out of the snow and they works really well in "moved" snow because beein stiff with rocker helps in breaking the snow surface.
Similar to the Vokl Gotama 2010 it is a pair of skis that can be used every day in every condition.
All the feed backs I received are going to be really usefull because they will help me to improve the next skis we will produce.

@davide: the PTTTeam is trying to sort out transport costs in order to bring the Mk 1.0 to Japan so you will be able to have a try with it. Hope you will like it
:D
guy

Polyurathane Spray

Post by guy »

Hi, great looking ski i am really impressed, i just wanted to ask about your process. Did you press these ski without a topsheet over the laminate veneer, then sand any epoxy off the top of veneer after pressing, then apply a sprayed coat of Polyurathane?
Could i ask what brand of polyurathane spray you used and any thinning agent you used. Did you find it easy to work with.... i have heard it takes upto a day to dry. Do you think a good quality lacquer would be as effective?

Second and last question, i noticed that you used wood side walls, how did you go about waterproofing them.

Many thanks
Guy
lucacasty

Re: Polyurathane Spray

Post by lucacasty »

guy wrote: Did you press these ski without a topsheet over the laminate veneer, then sand any epoxy off the top of veneer after pressing, then apply a sprayed coat of Polyurathane?
Yes
guy wrote:Could i ask what brand of polyurathane spray you used and any thinning agent you used.
The brand is Sayerlack, they produce and distribute in Italy but I don't know elsewhere.

This is the cicle:
Sanding off the excess epoxy
Sealer
PU base
Sanding
Applying the graphics (screen printing)
Finish with one hand of high resistace PU

As thinner I use MEK butil or ethil according to the gloss I want to reach
guy wrote:Did you find it easy to work with.... i have heard it takes upto a day to dry. Do you think a good quality lacquer would be as effective?
Yes drying for at least 12 hours is the best choice
guy wrote:Second and last question, i noticed that you used wood side walls, how did you go about waterproofing them.
The sidewalls are made as the core with bamboo.
The bamboo grain really helps but I put some sealer and then pu base and finish even on sidewalls.

Both the two skis have been used for at leat 20 ski days since Christmas and the sidewalls are perfect.
Sidewalls have been grooved with a 60° degrees cut and I tink this really helps to protectthem from stones or other

Hope this helps
lucacasty

Post by lucacasty »

After some thinking we decided to build a new press.
Instead of a pneumatic press we designed a vacuum press with some interesting characteristics:
  • Avoiding the mess of bagging
    Fast to set up and operate
    Reducing waste of bags and other materials
Here are the pictures and a link to Youtube of what we came up with:

Here it is a video on how it works:
SRP

Post by SRP »

The new vacuum press looks great. Not having to deal with bags must be nice. I would like to hear more about the materials and construction if you don't mind.
lucacasty

Post by lucacasty »

SRP wrote:The new vacuum press looks great. Not having to deal with bags must be nice. I would like to hear more about the materials and construction if you don't mind.
The type of press is what in Italy we call membrane press.
You need the followings:
One base made od mdf that has been grooved in orther to let the air flow.
In the base there are two holes one on each side that are linked to the grooving and attached to the vacuum pump.
For the top side we made a freme of plywood (section 6cmx6cm) and we stapled on it a special rubber sheet.
In Italy we call this rubber cauciu' and the translation should be caoutchouc oe India rubber. It is a natural rubber that can stretch by 700%.
Once we place the mould with the ski layed up we close the cover and we apply the vacuum.
As you can see from the last picture the grooving works as a selaler and the rubber start to press the ski.
The big advantage is that you don't have any waste excluding one light foil of peel ply.
Drew

Post by Drew »

About how thick is the rubber that you used? This is an awesome design.
lucacasty

Post by lucacasty »

Here are some picture of the skis made with the new press and ready to be finished with PU coatings.
The overall quality is much better than using vacuum bags and definitely much clener.

The skis are 186cm long
140-110-130 side cut 28mt radius with rocker for the first 65 cm and normal camber for the rest.

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Nice skis! What kind of wood is that on the top? How about some specs on the skis? I like the wood grain tops. Really stands out in the crowd. A nice wood grain is natures graphics, hard to beat.
Drew

Post by Drew »

I looked up some professional membranes presses for laminating veneers and they have some really cool options for heating mechanisms. I still can't find the rubber that is used.

Great looking skis too!
lucacasty

Post by lucacasty »

skidesmond wrote:Nice skis! What kind of wood is that on the top? How about some specs on the skis? I like the wood grain tops. Really stands out in the crowd. A nice wood grain is natures graphics, hard to beat.
The veneer I used with this pair is larch (larix).
Consider that they are only sanded and not finished yet, even the graphics are still missing.

The skis are 185cm long
140-110-130 28 meters radius with a 65 cm rocker
the core is made with bamboo and there a re 3 layers of glass fiber 750 gr/sqm
lucacasty

Post by lucacasty »

Drew wrote:I looked up some professional membranes presses for laminating veneers and they have some really cool options for heating mechanisms. I still can't find the rubber that is used.

Great looking skis too!
The rubber membrane we are using is 2mm thick.
In Italy you can find it in 1 or 2 or 3mm.
The important thing is elasticity, the one we are using can stretch by 700%.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Thanks,
I think that Pure Gum Rubber is only thing I've found to be that elastic next to Isoprene which seems to hard to come by.
lucacasty

Post by lucacasty »

Here are some picture of the new skis pressed last week.
Today we had a first test and it has been really positive.
The skis are quite stiff but the accentuated rocker really helped with an heavy spring snow.

shopvac

Post by shopvac »

very clean looking skis. I thought they looked great before you finished them. Fantastic work. Thanks for sharing.