"you building what? Are you mad?"

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

skidesmond wrote:That feeling never gets old! Been following your thread for along time. Great to see you making skis Lets us know how they perform..
Thank you.
It's been a long time. For now tried them on the groomers. Like it very much my best groomers skis lol

rightsideways wrote:nice looking topsheet! I really like the shape of your skis. You should have plenty of snow to try those out up north for months to come!
Topsheet just like yours lol I was thinking about that camo color but wasn't sure until I saw your skis.
I know I need to get to way up north for good snow..... Need to find new ski buddy because friend I used to ski with up north for several years now all of a sudden quit and don't want to ski no more:( and I have a tough time to drive for 4 hours in one direction alone
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
rightsideways

Post by rightsideways »

Hey MR: when you're designing your rocker mold for a 5 dimension ski, like the ones you just pressed, where do you begin your rocker, in relation to the widest point (tip and tail)?
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

rightsideways wrote:Hey MR: when you're designing your rocker mold for a 5 dimension ski, like the ones you just pressed, where do you begin your rocker, in relation to the widest point (tip and tail)?
same point at the widest point. However in reality because of the curvature of the mold of actual rocker one of the skis got shorter and contact point move forward from the widest point and actual rocker length of tip/tale shortens. Also tip high 10mm or so lower than intended.

I will be at wawa on Friday come over if you want.... We can do cross ski testing :D
Thomas A. Edison
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Gotta be a better option than wachusette if ur gonna drive. Jeez like i dunno anything but the wawa.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
rightsideways

Post by rightsideways »

I've never been to Wawa. My plan is to hit up Jay peak this weekend. Hopefully it won't get hit with the incoming rain.
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Check out Berkshire East. They have a nice mix of terrain, some steep pitches. Small local feel. They just did a bunch of work over the summer building an addition to the lodge with a new restaurant/bar with lumber from new trails they cut! Great ski area.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

I'll be at Mt Snow for the weekend, look for the flock of Blak Sheep :)
Doug
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

rightsideways wrote:I've never been to Wawa. My plan is to hit up Jay peak this weekend. Hopefully it won't get hit with the incoming rain.
I have to be there tomorrow. My skis is there and I am getting new boots need to be fitted a little.

Usually I don't ski on a weekends. Not sure this Sunday but maybe next one? Also I have 2
for 1 Sunday at Jay.
Also I'm going to Killington on Wednesday
Thomas A. Edison
JukeSnowboarding

Post by JukeSnowboarding »

Ill be at Mt. Snow tomorrow and Saturday and Wachusett Sunday
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Usually I don't ski on weekends. Plus Sunday supposed to rain. Would be nice to meet other builders.
next week I will be at Killington on Wednesday and possibly wawa Thursday afternoon. Can do Jay on Sunday next week, if I can find someone to drive with, too far to drive alone as a day trip. I have 2for1 to Jay good on Sundays

It's probably two more months of ski season left here in New England maybe we should start a new thread as of "New England builders get together" and meet up somewhere.
Thomas A. Edison
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

managed to build 3 pair skis this summer.
in the picture skis in chronological order from left to right starting with 1st pair skis I build last summer
Thomas A. Edison
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Great work man, looks like you've been having fun!
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Nice stuff. Looks like a couple of those never got mounted.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Thanks.
Little bit of fun to keep it interesting and not forget how to do it

yes the second and third from the left I built last winter but unfortunately they never saw the snow yet. 3 on the right build this summer for a upcoming season for me and a couple friends

Most important at this juncture from skis #3 on I'm getting relatively consistent results
Thomas A. Edison
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

pressed new pair skis yesterday 119-87-107 in 175

for the most part all the same construction as all my other skis except black Locust/poplar core with black Locust sidewall and tip/tale spacers. Probably popular only 10%. ski came out lighter than I expected only about 1800 g. With core 2-10.3-1.8 my stiffest skis yet

fresh out of the press.... still warm. This moment never gets old :D I noticed when skis in the press it feels like time stops.... 30 min. feels like an eternity

core and bases before layup. Had a small wooops at router table and needed to replace small section of sidewall on one ski
Thomas A. Edison