"you building what? Are you mad?"

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MadRussian

"you building what? Are you mad?"

Post by MadRussian »

Time to start a journal.

Last summer I stumbled on this website. For several months after that I read and read. About this time a year ago I decided to go for it. As my wife put it "from addictions men can have this is a good one. Go for it if that is what you want to do"

Looking back this project wouldn't be be happening if not for an incredible opportunity.... One day driving on the dirt road behind an industrial park, I found several I-beams and my new friend who owns a BIG welding rig with a crane 8). After two days of welding a press was in my garage. At that point I had no tools needed for ski building. Except for dust collectors, and a couple drills, that's about it. All of the tools I had at that time were mostly auto-mechanical. If not for Craigslist tool buying would be VERY EXPENSIVE. Downside of this route is time. It took a long time to get everything I needed.

That's about it, to summarize my progress. Press is made, tools and most of materials are bought. Tomorrow I will start working on a router core profiler.

few pictures of press being build:

press had to be brought here top and bottom separately because of size.

Unloaded

press finished

not so long ago I finally got around to do firehose and test it

It took about a day of work with the firehose I had to take it apart 5 times to change and add gaskets. Finally no leaks up to 75psi.
First successful overnight test

Frame for profiler

Last edited by MadRussian on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

nice! :D
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Now THAT is a press!!! Awesome!
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

That is a beast! The front fenders rip!
~ Matt
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

threeninethree wrote:That is a beast! The front fenders rip!
casters and 6" I-beams was from huge engine hoist I saved from destruction. "Fenders" was on them already. Actually I regret to put those wheels on the press, it looks nice, but difficult to move around small shop like mine. Someday I need to paint it, but not on priority list
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Sunday had time to put together profiler table and rails. came out nice and sturdy. unfortunately 1/4" steel I got for the rails not strong enough. Some deflection between supporting points, okay for now, in the future will have to replace it with 3/8" or 1/2" thick stuff.
I wasn't sure for the size and decide to make little bit longer and wider.... On the up side I will be able to do 2 core at the same time on the downside it's very heavy even without bridge.

Next I am going to do fabrication so bridge can be welded.
Misha

Post by Misha »

The press looks very powerfully :D
From R with l :)
Murchonn
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

any chance you could post pics for your finished profiler ?
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

ben_mtl wrote:any chance you could post pics for your finished profiler ?
I am not building anything special. Somewhat similar to Kingswood's in his video. Metal rails and mental bridge instead of wood from steel leftovers I got in my garage
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Misha wrote:The press looks very powerfully :D
spasibo. Mne prosto ochen' povezlo. takoi' press ya daje ne planiroval.
Misha

Post by Misha »

kakie razmery u pressa i chto planiruesh na nem delat` - doski ili lyzhi? =) s neterpeniem budu zhdat` prodolzhenija)))
From R with l :)
Murchonn
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

worked on bridge for profiler today. Get done less I would've wanted to but at least something done. To see results how profiler will be working I have to attach a dust collection and figure out something to hold core down. Experiment with double-faced tape and hot glue far from acceptable. Probably will have to bite the bullet and get vacuum pump when I find one cheap enough on craigslist.
Last edited by MadRussian on Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Misha wrote:kakie razmery u pressa i chto planiruesh na nem delat` - doski ili lyzhi? =) s neterpeniem budu zhdat` prodolzhenija)))
press is BIG. Cavity 20" wide 14" high long enough for 200 cm skis.
Bottom H-beams 55 pounds a foot top middle I-beam 75 pound per foot IIRC other 2 I-beams fairly light in comparison just to make up width. Weight probably 2000 pound plus but can be easily wheeled around by two people.

Dvigaetsy vce tygo i medlenno k sojaleniu
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Beast. I ran with 40/12 and I laugh. That thing is amazing!
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

bigger not always better. I tried several different router bits yesterday and today. 3/4" straight, 1 1/4" ball and tray and 1 1/2 bottom cleaning. so far best cut from ball and tray bit.