Neilg skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

NeilG

Neilg skis

Post by NeilG »

Out of school, new town, job, $$$ (sort of), all mean new ski building tools! Even though my cloth press worked great, it was a pain to load and could only press one ski at a time.
Here was my old set up: viewtopic.php?t=2684

So two ski press it is, Mongo/spaceframe style, thanks Mongo!
Cutting metal.

Lots of metal.

Two hose bladder. Leak proof without any sealant by the way.

1/16" alu cattrack, all cut by hand with a hacksaw...

Cattrack detail

Had a friend's dad who is a pro welder weld up my frame. Absolutely this many ( ) maths went into figuring out how strong my press would be, but I went with 3/16" steel tubing so I'm pretty sure it's over built.

Weld detail.

Painted, ran out of orange, whatever, at least it's all primed.

Trying something out I'm calling modular molds. I have three cambers, 35m regular camber, 35m reverse camber, and a flat camber mold, along with four tip/tail molds with varying amounts of rocker. All held together with threaded rod.

Also built an adjustable core profiling crib using aluminum shims, wayyyy too many holes.

To hold an adjustable top mold in the press I made up a little track underneath the top piece of MDF that the upper mold pieces slide on.

Upper mold block.

Upper mold tip/tail.

Still waiting on bungee to secure the cattrack.
But it holds at 40 psi!

Not too much of a void in the tip/tail sections, I'm ok with this.

Now I just need to build some skis, thinking about bamboo since I don't have a very good hardwood supply where I'm living and I found a good deal on bamboo floor boards (I'm sure everyone knows about cali bamboo by now, not sure if they're the best but they were easy to work with and relatively inexpensive from what I've gathered).
Any tips on core profile for bamboo? I've always used maple which I seem to recall is quite a bit stiffer.
Last edited by NeilG on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Looks good Neil. Sure glad it was not me cutting the alu, by hand? good for you. On the spacing in the tip and tail area... You might try shimming some more above the top mold to decrease the gap between the two molds. I'm sure others will have some good suggestions also. Looking forward to seeing the building progress!
ra
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Very nice work! Looks like you did your homework. So how many hack saw blades did you go through? That's a lot of hand sawing! I like the modular theme too. I made my molds the same way. Saves a lot of room in the shop. Any idea how heavy the press is? When the day comes for a new press I'd like to make one like this since it is much more manageable to move around.
Sherpa Burns

Post by Sherpa Burns »

"I found a good deal on bamboo floor boards (I'm sure everyone knows about cali bamboo by now, not sure if they're the best but they were easy to work with and relatively inexpensive from what I've gathered).
Any tips on core profile for bamboo? I've always used maple which I seem to recall is quite a bit stiffer."

The CaliBamboo is nice because you can get 6" wide planks, but be warned. They have a finish on them that needs to be removed. The finish on their stuff is no joke. I use a 13" Ridgid planer to knock this off, but it is a pretty fair fight between the finish and the planer blades. Also, if you can have them ship to a commercial address, you'll save well over $100 on shipping.

In terms of your core profile with bamboo versus maple, you'll find similar dimensions will work fine. It has a little better flex consistency and more of a pop than maple. Hard to describe, but I'd say the bamboo feels fluid. I use 2.5-11-2.5 with 2" uni carbon above and below the core. Probably never go back to maple or poplar.
NeilG

Post by NeilG »

Ra, I'm thinking about adding shims as well as closing the gap between the upper and lower molds, seems like there's a bunch of space in there and I'd get more pressure with more of the hose in contact with the cattrack.

Skidesmond. thanks! Only one hacksaw blade, 1/16" alu isn't too bad (ok so now I hate cattracks, but whatever). Not sure how heavy the press is, I'd guess around 200lb based on the receipt from the metal supplier, of course the molds and everything else probably add another hundred lb or so.

Sherpa Burns, I've heard about the coating, sounds like fun...Thanks for the shipping tip. I like my skis pretty stiff so I'll probably do a similar profile, and 2" carbon is exactly what I was thinking about, thanks!

How is binding retention? Seems like the more fibrous nature of bamboo might make for easier binding pull out but I'm not sure. I'll probably add some unpainted screen door screen or something.
telehead

Post by telehead »

Just thought I would chime in on the "Aluminum Cutting" of the cat track. Get some Bee's Wax, a cheap carbide blade for your Skilsaw, or Chopsaw. Put a little wax on the blade (while it is spinning) and start cutting. You will be amazed how easy it will cut. Be sure to wear ear, and eye protection. You can also put Bee's wax on your grinding disc's (paper type, or flap wheels) and it will keep them from loading up. Just keep adding as needed, and as it melts off. Check it out....Cheers..kt
powderho

Post by powderho »

The Cali-bamboo is O.K. in my opinion. I have used Terregrin bamboo before and it seemed to be a bit better overall. The Cali stuff wasn't really all that consistent when I was profiling the cores (planer crib method). Some cores went through the planer super easy and some barely at all. It was strange there was such a difference. I don't think the binding retention is as good either. I personally mounted up a couple of pairs and it was easy to over tighten the screws. Also, the drill bit felt like it was cutting air. Zero resistance. This is a night and day difference from my normal ash cores. I don't do anything for binding retention, just 22oz. glass above and below the core BTW. The protective coating is a PITA to remove, but it's not a deal-breaker. My planer almost fell over when I tried to feed it through. It ruined the blades so fast I almost thought I wasn't going to be able to use it. I ended up getting an angle-grinder with a flapper-disc to take it off. It took about 10 minutes straight of nasty grinding per core to get it off.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Would the bees wax trick work for jig saw blades with cutting flash?
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
ggardner90

Post by ggardner90 »

we buy the cali bamboo vertically laminated 4x8ft sheets minimum order is 2 sheets i think each one was $135, i have been very happy with them thus far. the only issue we had in the beginning was that it is a PINA to cut the core on a router you have to step cut it. but i am very happy with how they ski and the consistency of the wood is great
ggardner90

Post by ggardner90 »

we buy the cali bamboo vertically laminated 4x8ft sheets minimum order is 2 sheets i think each one was $135, i have been very happy with them thus far. the only issue we had in the beginning was that it is a PINA to cut the core on a router you have to step cut it. but i am very happy with how they ski and the consistency of the wood is great
kylea

Post by kylea »

ggardner90 wrote:we buy the cali bamboo vertically laminated 4x8ft sheets minimum order is 2 sheets i think each one was $135, i have been very happy with them thus far. the only issue we had in the beginning was that it is a PINA to cut the core on a router you have to step cut it. but i am very happy with how they ski and the consistency of the wood is great
Do they sell a single ply in 1/2" or 3/4"? Or are you using the 3-ply?
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

Looks really nice. What internal dimensions did you go with (width and height)? The more I think about it, and how heavy my fabric press will be, I'm leaning toward a spaceframe style as well. It should be much easier to load and work with.
NeilG

Post by NeilG »

Everyone, thanks a lot for the bamboo and metal cutting tips. I'm about ready to begin battle with the bamboo floorboards, I'll let you all know how it goes.
White Pine, thanks, press dimensions are 12" by 14" by 90", just enough room to hopefully be able to press two skis at a time. I didn't want to go too wide since I want it as strong as possible laterally to keep my bases and mold flat.
falls

Post by falls »

I have found the best way to get the varnish off the bamboo floorboards is with an electric hand planer. Clamp the board to a solid bench. Plane off the varnish in long passes. Then feed it through the planer to flatten it out again. Flip the core over and repeat for the varnish on the other side. Much less of a pain in the ass than other ways I have tried.
Like this guy:
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
sir.orange

Post by sir.orange »

im interested in buiding one of those rib-moulds that could be adjusted to

different lengths like neil did it. i just don t know how do i have to cover the

gaps of the lower mould. do you just use a sheet of steel or aluminium

(thickness??) or do you need a second cat-track on the mould saving the

laminate to get pressed into those gaps? i mean there s hardly any pressure

without support from below!?