Epic Planks Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

powbrewer

Epic Planks Skis

Post by powbrewer »

Well, I have been a long time reader on ski builders, but an infrequent poster. Nevertheless, I have gained a wealth of knowledge from this website and appreciate everyone sharing their ski building experiences. I am not always the best about posting on forums (more of a reader), but wanted to start documenting our project: Epic Planks
In the fall of 2009, my friend Brian and I decided over beers to jump into the world of ski building. Our first useable prototypes were completed in late February 2010 just in time for a road trip that we had planned across British Columbia. Our first prototype (5 pair production run) was coined the Floater, as we designed it specifically for our cat skiing trip in British Columbia and wanted a ski that would perform well in deep snow. Our construction consisted of a poplar core, 19oz triax fiberglass, Crown UHMW sidewall and bases, and PBT topsheets. The Floater was 185cm, tip – 151mm, waist – 122mm, tail – 140mm. Flat camber. Tip rocker – 12mm tall & 51cmm long. Tail rocker – 9mm tall & 40cm long.

Epic Planks Floater Topsheet by Epic Planks, on Flickr

Epic Planks Floater Bases by Epic Planks, on Flickr

Floater Prototypes by Epic Planks, on Flickr

Floater Topsheets by Epic Planks, on Flickr

Floater Bases by Epic Planks, on Flickr

Overall, we were extremely happy with how the Floater performed. This was a fun ski with a surfy feel and we got to ski it in a variety of conditions on our trip. We ended up making some tweaks in our core design and flex after the trip based on our experience and the recommendations of the cat skiing guides that demo'd the skis. Also, we learned really fast that PBT wasn’t going to cut it for topsheets. While they looked great, they chipped up like crazy. A week on the skis and our topsheets were looking pretty beat.

I will post some photos from our trip below and will be back soon to share more from the last couple years.

Map of our route – flew into Calgary, drove to Fernie Wilderness Adventures and spent 2 days cat skiing, then went to K3 Catski in Revelstoke and spent 3 days cat skiing, then drove to Whistler where we spent 3 days with Powder Mountain Catskiing . Then we flew out of Vancouver with TIRED LEGS.

Ski Trip Route by Epic Planks, on Flickr

Stop 1: Fernie Wilderness Adventures Cat Skiing
Catskiing guide Brian by Epic Planks, on Flickr

Crop Duster in Fernie by Epic Planks, on Flickr

Fernie Crop Duster by Epic Planks, on Flickr

Stop 2: K3 Catskiing in Revelstoke
K3 Catski by Epic Planks, on Flickr

K3 Catskiing by Epic Planks, on Flickr

Karl Salter by Epic Planks, on Flickr

Stop 3: Powder Mountain Catskiing in Whistler
Catskiing Guide Andrew McAloon by Epic Planks, on Flickr

A little air on the Crop Duster by Epic Planks, on Flickr
Epic Planks Handmade Skis
http://www.epicplanks.com

Our Ski Builders Journal:
viewtopic.php?t=3748
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Wow, some first rate ski photos! You guys s/b extremely pleased.
powbrewer

Post by powbrewer »

Yeah, luckily we had our photographer friend Lisa along for the trip and she can make anybody look good while skiing :)

skidesmond wrote:Wow, some first rate ski photos! You guys s/b extremely pleased.

viewtopic.php?t=3748
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

Ok I quit!! Taking up golf or something
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Huck Pitueee wrote:Ok I quit!! Taking up golf or something
Ha! Me too, best thread ever!

Are those bases sublimated or printed, or? They look amazing.
powbrewer

Post by powbrewer »

The bases are sublimated. Graphics by our friend James (who has since joined us in our ski building madness). The tree is based off of a tree he saw in Michigan and then the part near the tail looks like a water color painting when you look up close.

We have had our fair share of screw up and issues, so don't worry, I plan to share!
twizzstyle wrote:
Huck Pitueee wrote:Ok I quit!! Taking up golf or something
Ha! Me too, best thread ever!

Are those bases sublimated or printed, or? They look amazing.

viewtopic.php?t=3748
deepskis

Impressive

Post by deepskis »

Wow! Great looking skis and super pics!! Impressive!
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
artski

Post by artski »

It really looks like you guys have got it going on, great looking skis.

I got to see most of your line at the MRA show at Boyne mt. I was the guy on the blue home built Vandalays.

It was good to meet you and I wish you the best of luck!

Next time you come up to Boyne let me know it would be great to ski with you and maybe have a beer at the halfway house.

Best regards, Art
powbrewer

Post by powbrewer »

Small world Art! I remember talking to you outside our tent. It was good to meet you too. We will definitely let you know when we get up there again....never can turn down a beer!
artski wrote:It really looks like you guys have got it going on, great looking skis.

I got to see most of your line at the MRA show at Boyne mt. I was the guy on the blue home built Vandalays.

Next time you come up to Boyne let me know it would be great to ski with you and maybe have a beer at the halfway house.

Best regards, Art

viewtopic.php?t=3748
Buttepacker

Post by Buttepacker »

artski wrote:It really looks like you guys have got it going on, great looking skis.

Best regards, Art
Hey Art, Brian here. I remember meeting you. Hope all is well.
Epic Planks
www.epicplanks.com
Buttepacker

Post by Buttepacker »

(dummy post to get me up to 2 posts so I can post URLs...)

Hmm.... still no go.... follow up to Bill's post coming soon.
Epic Planks
www.epicplanks.com
artski

Post by artski »

Hey Brian, hope to see you guys next winter. Seeing your website and pics is inspiring me to re-double my efforts!
I've been designing and building some new prototypes, can't wait for next winter!!!
Buttepacker

Post by Buttepacker »

Building on Bill's first post... we got back from our BC test fest in March 2010 absolutely stoked on the Floaters. The skis ripped in deep snow (absolutely, most definitely the biggest permagrin in my life, to date), and we had quite a few guys saying they would be interested in buying a pair if they were available. At that point we decided to try a run of 30 pairs of Floaters for the Fall of 2010.

So here’s a quick story of our first production run, including some stumbling blocks that first year. We’ve decided to give out some detailed information here, reason being is that it's hard to start building your own boards on a bigger scale and we want to encourage everyone to try, even if that means potential competition down the road from a new microbrew manufacturer like us. If you want to give it a go, more power to you. Competition in the market is a good thing.

We didn’t start out with a few hundred grand in the bank to finance a factory and all of the tooling you need to do everything on your own. We started out with a modest budget, a press we’d had built out in California, and some hand tools from Home Depot, packed into Bill’s garage in Grand Rapids. (Thankfully Bill has a very patient wife that allowed us to use the garage for pressing skis, trimming, brewing beer, etc. Vehicles can sleep outside. Thanks Kath!)

The press:
Ski Press by Epic Planks, on Flickr

We'd pretty much finalized our materials order in early spring, and were pumped to get rolling. As we were tweaking our graphics for our first real production run, we found out via the TGR boards that a custom ski manufacturer in Europe already had a shape called the Floater. That was an “oh shit” moment for us, because we'd already leaned hard on James (our original graphics maestro, and now business partner) for his time to finish the design, and time was tight. We finally ended up settling on a new name: Crop Duster, which has generated its fair share of laughs along with some unintended consequences – Like how people feel way too comfortable ripping farts in and around our demo tent while calling out Crop Duster. It’s not always the easiest name to explain either, like when Akihiko Mizutani of Japan requested that we teach him the origin of the name “Crop Duster.”

Cores ended up being one of the toughest things to get ahold of that first year. We knew we needed to use quality, consistent cores, but didn't have full confidence to produce the same core every time because of our limited machinery. We decided to outsource our cores to a guy we found on ski builders from the East Coast. We paid him, and he promised delivery by May. After months of excuses, we finally received our cores in September, when we had hoped to have production wrapped up. Some cores were great, some weren’t, but the moral of the story was that they lacked consistency. We used the ones that were useable and found an alternate source for the rest. This was one of the first lessons: it sucks to depend on others to get what you need, before you have the capability to build or do everything yourself. The core situation completely screwed up our production schedule, and with promised deliveries there were some sleepless nights.

The cores once they came in:
Poplar Core by Epic Planks, on Flickr

While we were waiting on the cores we were starting in on some of the other tasks. Our bases were cut with the “run a router around a machined wood blank” method, which obviously isn’t optimal but it is acceptable if you pay attention and clean up rough spots. Our straight steel edges (from CDW) were bent by hand – tons of fun without a quality edge bender. It took a loooong time to bend the edges for all of the skis.

Attaching edges
Attaching edges to base by Epic Planks, on Flickr

Other material sources we used that year : Fiberglass from Vectorply, sublimated nylon (again, we wanted to get away from PBT) topsheets and UMHW bases from Miller Studio in Washington, sidewall & tip/tail spacer material from Crown Plastics in Ohio, and Resin/Epoxy from QCM Industrials (now Forrest Paint).

Once we finally got the cores in, we were ready to rock and roll. Pressing went pretty well, and we finished up production just in time to unveil the Crop Duster at a Dendrite Studios/Poor Boyz double film premiere we threw in Grand Rapids.

Crop Duster, get 'em while they're hot
Just pressed by Epic Planks, on Flickr

We ended up selling all but a couple pairs of skis out of our initial run of 30 pairs (we also lost a couple of sales because of the delay in getting our cores, thanks again dude!). Those extra pairs were used for the athletes that we hooked up to sponsor and help get the word out about Epic Planks. We have worked hard to target guys that are great skiers, but more importantly, great people. This has been amazing for us for getting feedback on our designs and being able to make quick modifications to meet their needs. We have been fortunate enough to sponsor backcountry ski guides, big mountain skiers, and park rats.

In February 2011, we attended our first retailer show/demo, the MRA Test Fest at Boyne Mountain Michigan. This was our first real ski show with buyers from shops throughout the Midwest. We had a blast meeting new people and getting into some shops. There were quite a few people stoked on seeing a small Michigan based brand, while some of the sales reps for the bigger brand definitely were giving us the cold shoulder. We walked away from the show pretty pumped, with an order from Skis.com/Summit Sports and Bill & Paul’s Sporthaus.

We wrapped up the 2010/2011 season with a ski trip back to British Columbia with 3 of our sponsored riders and our friends from Dendrite Studios to TLH Heliskiing in Gold Bridge, BC, which was un-freaking-believable. We and the other guys wrote up a couple articles about the trip: ESPN Freeskiing (clicky), Dendrite Studios (clicky), b4apres (clicky), and Untracked Guides (clicky). The trip was a blast, except for the blown out ACL and torn meniscus that Bill took back to Michigan as a souvenir.

Here is the edit Dendrite put together from our trip.

And a few final photos:
Crop Dusters by Epic Planks, on Flickr

This photo kinda gives you some perspective on how gigantor a place like TLH is – that is a BIG heli, a Bell 212, sitting on a glacial moraine.
Heli on a moraine by Epic Planks, on Flickr

Then, looking across the glacier and where the heli is sitting in the above photo, this is one of the faces the guys shredded that day (I was sitting across the valley with Athan filming the shots, some of which come up in the video we posted above.)
One of the faces skied by Epic Planks athletes Alex Blais and Jon Whelan at TLH Heli Skiing. by Epic Planks, on Flickr

Speaks for itself :)
Alex Blais at TLH by Epic Planks, on Flickr

Cheers,
Brian
Last edited by Buttepacker on Thu May 10, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Epic Planks
www.epicplanks.com
Buttepacker

Post by Buttepacker »

artski wrote:Hey Brian, hope to see you guys next winter. Seeing your website and pics is inspiring me to re-double my efforts!
I've been designing and building some new prototypes, can't wait for next winter!!!
Nice man! We're really stoked about our new shop (pics coming of that soon) and our greatly increased ability to proto skis in a hurry. I hope yours turn out well.
Epic Planks
www.epicplanks.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Wow great story! Good luck with the business. Selling close to 30 skis your first year is pretty good.