Divide Rides

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sammer

Post by sammer »

Somebody's been busy.
Looking good, bit of a self portrait in that last one.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Yup. Tinkering somewhat every day. The other two guys are not working and I've been on vacation for over a month.

But wife's back to work this week, and full time daddy hours will commence. The 3 year old can work in the shop with me. Still having trouble finding a job for the baby though!

Derek
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

nice work.

Since snow start falling and lifts spinning I not been in my shop to do any work. Eat sleep go skiing lol
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Shredding always comes first MR...that's why we do this right!
pmg

Post by pmg »

Same here... whenever there would be some spare time to finish the next build, I go out and ski instead :) But unfortunately, winter will be over someday, abd then we can get back to building.

Happy shredding to you all
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I hope none of you take your winter for granted. I haven't built anything this year, because there's no point. I skied one day, in the rain, about a month ago. My entire mountain is dirt at this point, not even thin patches of snow left. :( (pacific northwest)
RYM Experimentals

Post by RYM Experimentals »

Goto Crystal Twizz! Ive been going there the last few Saturdays, the riding has been pretty good, even got some face shots down powder bowl last Saturday morning.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Nice ski Dtrain. I built only 2 pair this season. One was for our corporate racing league to raffle off.

Skiing in the NE has been the best in years. Sorry Twizz.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

New splitty.

158cm
317-256-288
Quadratic sidecut
7cm back of center stance

Bamboo Topsheet
4oz uni carbon
4.4oz biax carbon
9oz uni glass over binding insert packs
Sita spruce/yellow cedar core 2-6.3-2
4.4 ounce biax carbon
4 ounce uni carbon
4000 sintered durasurf base.

After I broke my last lightweight split in the middle of nowhere
I decided it needed a thicker core and some glass in there to beef it up.
Aluminum binding plates don't flex, when I went over the handlebars or landed hard on the nose it folded over front binding and snapped.
Ran the glass a few inches past the insert packs to hopefully stop this , plus added .8 mm to the core thickness.

Rode great so far, though the nose is a little stiffer than I like in a pow deck.

Image[/img]
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Richuk wrote this a couple years ago to me

"If you are using this with the sitka spruce, then you will need to be on top of the composite side of this design, as carbon and glass have different failure modes. Glass will give you a 'head's up', whereas carbon is less likely to do that for you"

You were so right!
I never did use crimp fabrics as we were discussing then, but softwood and light weight carbon fabric did add to a complete failure.

I am battling weight vs stiffness vs strength.

Cosurfer is using aspen I believe in conjunction with a 8 ounce
Carbon weave and selling comercially.

If the core is thick enough it won't bend enough to let anything break,
But people don't want to ride a 2x4.

The search for the perfect lightweight splitboard continues.
richie

Post by richie »

Dtrain wrote:New splitty.

158cm
317-256-288
Quadratic sidecut
7cm back of center stance

Bamboo Topsheet
4oz uni carbon
4.4oz biax carbon
9oz uni glass over binding insert packs
Sita spruce/yellow cedar core 2-6.3-2
4.4 ounce biax carbon
4 ounce uni carbon
4000 sintered durasurf base.

After I broke my last lightweight split in the middle of nowhere
I decided it needed a thicker core and some glass in there to beef it up.
Aluminum binding plates don't flex, when I went over the handlebars or landed hard on the nose it folded over front binding and snapped.
Ran the glass a few inches past the insert packs to hopefully stop this , plus added .8 mm to the core thickness.

Rode great so far, though the nose is a little stiffer than I like in a pow deck.

Image[/img]
What do you think of the Prowder interface? I have a couple of kits that one customer wanted , the idea is great I think the actual kit is a little fiddly for joe average, my customer bent a set of the pucks already too and he's a fly weight but he did have a good crash mind you! Board looks awesome, what weight did it end up bare board no bindings or Binding Saddles pucks just the Prowder Hoss Hooks and Cowboy Clips on ? yes he quest for strength vs weight is a battle! cheers
MonkeyCAM and SnoCAD - https://github.com/mikemag
Ski binding mounting https://github.com/splitn2/DrillSki

Richard Harcourt | www.splitn2.com | Christchurch New Zealand
rich@splitn2.com | www.facebook.com/splitn2
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Clips are awesome. I was a voile guy, tried the Karakoram but hated the sound the s$&t made while hiking. These clips literally made the board ride better. I've noticed hard heelsides make a split feel like a split. The prowder cowboys clips are the best yet. And adjustable as slop occurs. The tip and tail clips seem great, but with a wood topsheet.......they pull into the wood and there are some issues. My nose clip popped open more during hard riding
then the plastic ones do. This may be due to the wood topsheet and me over cranking the thing off the start and then having to loosen it off. Can't be sure though. First time user. I won't try the binding hardware, I just love the simplicity of voile pucks. The clips are hands down the best stuff yet!
richie

Post by richie »

Dtrain wrote:Clips are awesome. I was a voile guy, tried the Karakoram but hated the sound the s$&t made while hiking. These clips literally made the board ride better. I've noticed hard heelsides make a split feel like a split. The prowder cowboys clips are the best yet. And adjustable as slop occurs. The tip and tail clips seem great, but with a wood topsheet.......they pull into the wood and there are some issues. My nose clip popped open more during hard riding
then the plastic ones do. This may be due to the wood topsheet and me over cranking the thing off the start and then having to loosen it off. Can't be sure though. First time user. I won't try the binding hardware, I just love the simplicity of voile pucks. The clips are hands down the best stuff yet!
nice, hey what weight was the board? yeah agree re the Voile pucks hard to beat they are tough as nails!

Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Last one was a 160. 6 pounds 3 oz naked. This one 6 pounds 8 oz with the tip and tail clips and splitboard clips.. Been charging it and no issues. Sick shape. Little stiff.
richie

Post by richie »

Dtrain wrote:Last one was a 160. 6 pounds 3 oz naked. This one 6 pounds 8 oz with the tip and tail clips and splitboard clips.. Been charging it and no issues. Sick shape. Little stiff.
:) good work!