Divide Rides

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Yea don't dispair. Most problems are fixable like Vinman says. Twizz I agree, that's the true testament, a big grin at the bottom of the hill. May we all have many. :D
Last edited by skidesmond on Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

So I figure it was time to crack into this Poly U. For the first boards I will make splits but keep it simple with just wood sidewall in the center. I dont think Id want the dampening of rubber down the middle of my board anyway?

I preffer the feeling of a "live wire" . As I said before =) all we ride is deep pow here anyway. dampening and chatter are no concern of mine.

Ran the tourch over these poured channels. there are tiny little bubbles in the rubber, but I dont expect an problems in pressing or performance.

we have a 165 directional fatty and a boxy tipped, slightly directional, freestyle shaped deck.

Now I gotta wait for these suckers to dry. 8)

we need to bring the stoke back up as Kris' skis took a turn for the worse. delamer on the floor in the back of the pic.

[/img]Image
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

you do realize the rubber is for a bonding/sheer layer right? unless you use a bunch in different places the rubber you use on the edge is not determinable to the rider.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Upper Left Coast

Post by Upper Left Coast »

How about filling it with a paste epoxy, repressing and giving them a go anyway? When I screw up sidewall I use JB WELD or PC 7 paste epoxy.

I guess it depends on how far I that delam propagates and it you think it would pretty much be a total failure with any sort of force on it.
word vinman, i think i'll try that and at least get a day on them to see how they ride. thanks!
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

MontuckyMadman wrote:you do realize the rubber is for a bonding/sheer layer right? unless you use a bunch in different places the rubber you use on the edge is not determinable to the rider.
MM.

Not sure what you mean by this. please explain.
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

"As I said before =) all we ride is deep pow here anyway. dampening and chatter are no concern of mine."

Life is rough!

I think MM was referring to placing VDS over the edge but I think you were talking about the dampening of the sidewall, right?
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Dtrain wrote:So I figure it was time to crack into this Poly U.
Ran the tourch over these poured channels. there are tiny little bubbles in the rubber, but I dont expect an problems in pressing or performance.

[/img]Image
What product did you use in the channels?
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Goz: I used smooth-on 790. cured perfectly. its the goods. I was going to add a colored tint, but figured id keep it straight forward for the first couple.

Dr.: Yes I was reffering to having my inside sidwalls of these splitboards rubber. I believe that would dampen the board too much for my personal preference. im keepin em wood. Also, I think I am going to cut out that NUKE shape you sent me a while back and press a pair for a friend.

this poly u is so thick. pouring it is a challenge. rubber everywhere and on everything. For what its worth, I think you loose dollars of product to the table, clothes, body and floor. LOL
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Well, we are not anywhere near out of bamboo or maple, but i have been wanting to experiment with some different wood.

I purchase some very overpriced popar from the hardware store that was super nice stuff and being sold as "mouldings". 2.5''x.75"x6 foot, $1.79 a foor sound cheap untill it adds up to 83 feet.

I also have been obsessing about Paulownia. Not a stitch of the stuff in Canada. I went as far as to order 1300 seeds and will be playing johnny appleseed here in Terrace B.C. this spring. I hope to harvest some nice straight smaller logs in three-four yeards time.

For now I ordered some from. 12 pieces 3.5"x1",6'feet. shipped to my door $217 bucks. did not cost much more than the local poplar *shakes fist in air*.

I plan to mix the 2 species plus 2 maple insert stringers. and try the old resaw on a little stack.

Also been reading alot about Sitka Spruce. My gut instinct tells me this wood will be awsome ski/snowboard wood. I hunted around and found a huge tree that fell in a local windstorm in 2010. We are going to chainsaw mill this thing up and caryy it out. more wood than I know what to do with. got people down the highway a bit with small drying kilns. Stoke is high at the moment.

And for now, here is bamboo splitboard core I just had profiled. This time Im doing the full poly-u sidewall around both "skis". Will follow up soon with some layup shots. hope to take more pics of the process this time. I always forget. I really enjoyed MORE SKIS latest journal update, filled with eye candy :D

[/img]Image

[/img]
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Nice score on the wood. Isn't sitka also used in guitars?
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Yes. guitars, and a ton of other stuff. Sitka spruce fact: the largest Sitka in Canada is 2 hours from my house. They say that single tree could produce enough lumber to frame nine large homes.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Nice find! I developed a sitka-obsession a few years back when I first read the Forest Products Laboratory pdf. More recently have been similarly interested in paulownia, check out these sellers:
://www.worldpaulownia.com/html/paulownia_warehouse.html they also have info on growing and pruning your own
http://www.woodsurfboardsupply.com/wood_kits.html

For poplar:
http://www.kencraftcompany.com/Poplar_Bundles.htm
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/pop44-p-Poplar.html

Awesome journal, especially like the magnet trick...looking forward to trying that. I think you have inspired me to go harvest an aspen grove I have access to...I am just not sure how to specify how the wood is sawed from the log.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Thanks mattman, you should look into chainsaw milling. It it a cheaper contraption that can be put on a fallen log that guides a chainsaw to rip straight cuts. Then clean up on a table saw. It is a lot of work but the payoff is probably worth it.
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Where did you get your bamboo from for your core? Looks like a fantastic job with the sidewall and profiling.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Scored a deal on some 4x8sheets. We also purchased 6 boxes of the unfinished flooring from bamboo hardwoods. They have a dealer in b.c.. Not cheap though 109 bucks a box. Probably cheaper for you in the USA. Twizz gets his there I think. Drilling some insert holes at the moment. Then squish this thing tonight :D