Bent Green Things 13/14

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

Post by vinman »

Just be careful with those blades carbide is harder than steel edge. Easy to gouge an edge if you are not careful... If you see sparks... That's a bad thing.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

vinman wrote:Just be careful with those blades carbide is harder than steel edge. Easy to gouge an edge if you are not careful... If you see sparks... That's a bad thing.
I'll have to give those blades a try also.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Fired up the grinder the other day because its it so stinking warm here!!!!

things I learned:
1.) Zircon belts are WAY more aggressive than ceramic. 5 passes max!
2.) Because the belt is wet there is no heat. so when you run your finger over the top of the belt while it is running you can't tell it is removing the epidermis layer... I have no fingerprint now.
3.) I feel like my belt sprays more than it should. i've tried controlling the flow out of the spray head and it still throws liquid off the belt and onto the ground. should the the rubber strip on the front edge be "touching" the belt to keep the water down? until I figure this out there is no way this is going to be moved into the house.
4.) My generator loves the workout of running flood lights and a base sander. BOOYA!

here is the family all lined up for Jay next weekend:
*elans are future skis...
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

Mine spits a ton of water! I have no idea why or how to fix it.

But what I did do was setup a sheet of poly about 4.5 feet in front of the grinder to catch all the water being sprayed. And the poly sheet just dumps into a bucket. My grinder is in my garage next to everything else I don't want wet haha. It's annoying but the poly sheet works for now.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Yeah my grinder throws a TON of coolant on the floor, and I have an epoxy floor so when it gets wet it's suicidally slippery. I've slipped on my ass more than a few times.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Thanks for the info guys. So this perfectly "normal", I'm going to really look at the ski shop one the next time i go. there is no way theirs does this. So I guess i don't feel so bad; well maybe a little for the field mice that might try to drink it and die. cheers all.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

My sander throws minimal amount of coolant out. More water dripping from the skis than throws by belt sander. I have feed wheel above main wheel which possibly work as a water catcher.

Water spray nozzle located in my machine on the way into it going down not up. Where nozzle located in yours?
Maybe you need to close water valve almost completely .... all you need the belt barely damp
that's what I was told by guys in the shop when getting my crash course of base sander use.
so when it gets wet it's suicidally slippery
now it make sense. While their machine didn't spit much of the water all floor of the shop was covered with rubber mat... kind with big holes
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

vinman wrote:Just be careful with those blades carbide is harder than steel edge. Easy to gouge an edge if you are not careful... If you see sparks... That's a bad thing.

ummm ya you were not kidding! these things are no joke! I had zero issues cutting off the flask and you really don't want to get them too close to metal.

latest pair came out great. same dimensions as the last one but changed up the core and carbon.

I'm really enjoying the flex in this ski. exactly what I was looking for.
2.7-12.7-2.7
2" Carbon top and bottom.

Has anyone seen this before? I've got some old flash still laying around, I'm going to see if it's in there too. This is post the press.

camber is this pair looks good:

this is something else I've noticed. when I press the camber together in the middle of the ski the entire ski does not go flat, i have a slight opening toward the tip and tail. Is this normal? I'm thinking the carbon is not letting it go flat? (this is the best photo I could get):

The best thing this pair was I stopped by the very first shop that I took my skis to (his opinion was they were going to be unskiable and the bases were fu-bared) to to get his opinion. You are only as good as your toughest critic. He wasn't there... Everyone in the shop loved the stiffness/pop of this ski and one of the tuners came out to take a look at it, he wanted to flat bar them. I was cool with that. He couldn't believe i ground them by hand and got them this flat. "way better than a K2 ski" I guess I'll take that as a complement?

hummm what am I going to do for my next pair? shorter pair? I'd like to try a veneer top. google search here I come.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

any comments on bubbles or camber?
leboeuf

Post by leboeuf »

Is that flash section not under pressure?
When I started to use heat I got bubbles in the non-pressure sections of the flash. Never had any issues with the sections of the ski that are under pressure.

I didn't look to see your molds, but if you use tip/camber/tail molds then I'd give the area where your molds transition a close look. Otherwise brand name it as your custom multi camber carver skis.
falls

Post by falls »

I think those bubbles are just air that has pressed out the side of the skis when it went under pressure then it set with the bubbles there.
No matter how hard you try there will be air in the laminate - especially in edge teeth and under VDS over the edges before you press. That air gets squished out the sides leaving little or no air inside the ski.

Has your press got vertical supports?
Sometimes with vertical supports you get segmental camber associated with points of less deflection where the press is supported vs spans where it isn't.
Also if you are only heating from one side funny things can happen too
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

leboeuf wrote:. Otherwise brand name it as your custom multi camber carver skis.
:idea: I like this idea

I have that camber problem on my skis. It definitely doesn't affect performance. So for now I'm not worrying about

Another approach.... Start making reverse camber skis :)
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

I had that problem for a little while. I found the issue was not having a perfectly smooth camber profile. It didn't take much for the issue to telegraph into my skis. It wasn't a tough fix either. Just an afternoon with a sanding block and a level to use as a flat bar.

I found it didn't effect performance at all. It's just a weird thing to see when you put the skis together.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Love it when someone looks at the skis and says "good luck" or "no good" ect.... These are the same people who think a ski is good / great only after looking at the graphics!
Definitely ski 'em and smile all the way down the hill!
My sander sprays coolant as well. Need to look into adjusting the volume of coolant and see if the skis get warm or not. I think the coolant has several jobs while sanding or grinding.
1. cooling
2. cleaning
3. rust inhibiting
My grinder has a curtain hanging behind the feed roller that collects any overspray. The sander does not (yet).
I too have the air bubbles in the flash. I don't worry about it.
I think a lot of the ski manufactures have this separation tip and tail when loaded. It is easy turn rocker or something like that....
ra
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Thanks for all the useful information!

I'll take a closer look at the camber transition. at the tip/tail to running camber area.

my press does not have vertical supports. My beams are beefy enough I shouldn't have to worry about it, I also heat from both sides.

I'm starting to wonder if it has to do with how "thin" my core is in that section. maybe there is not enough "backbone" to the ski to press it down. It compresses fine when i press in this area with my hand just not the center.

i love the idea of the "multi camber carver ski!" I'll give you a kickback Laboeuf! ;-)

Chris: I'll take a look into that too. so you suggest to look at the camber section of the ski in that area to see if there is some "high spots".

Rockauhum: spot on with the cover sheet. I think the spray also has to do with the speed the belt is traveling and amount of water that is going on the belt. I've got it a little more dialed in now... just a little... Correct, if I put any rocker in the tip at all this problem will go away.

I'm going to build a beefier core for my next pair (flat section under binding) and see if this issue still remains.

Great news on the bubbles. I've attributed the "cracking" noises when the ski is first flexed to these bubbles. I was trying to eliminate this noise, but it seams that others are experiencing the same.

cheer!