Time...For another...

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Hey Vinman,
Something else I read about. Keeping this in mind it was for surfboards but seems to hold true when I did the ski.
1. Warm up the resin, not the hardener. This will help with the flow and leveling and will kick quicker.
2. Off gassing increases as the temp of the material increases. What I did was warm up the skis in the sun first. Then I moved them into the shop where it was cooler. Apply epoxy as the skis are in a cooler environment as this will reverse the off gassing and therefor the bubbles.
3. Fisheyes are a result of contaminates. Either on the ski, in the epoxy, or landing while in the process of hot coating the skis.
Hope this helps.
ra
vinman

Post by vinman »

Ra, right on with the fisheyes, most of time my fisheyes are due to dust or from the metal leafing process. This uses sound adhesive to stick the leaf to the ski. If I get sloppy with the masking or it flows under the mask it will repel the epoxy. Just as the epoxy gels I drip some extra right into the eye. By then it is so gelled it can't flow, filling in the eye.

Good tip on warming the resin.

I have also found that it is easy to overheat the epoxy with a torch causing some serious hazing. An electric heat gun remedies this.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com