Kampai Custom

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Why not just pack it with wood?
The way I see it is you want a 20-30mm gap before you inflate the bladder.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

I got the steel but didn't get the bladder made, a mate come by and we started making a new hybrid rocker mold.
I still think it is very possible though. The local hardware has 1.5mm vinyl sheet for $30 a meter. so gonna be a $90 bladder. I have some thinner stuff lying around that I will use as a test first. If it makes it to 30psi before splitting I will invest in the good stuff.

I think you and I both have the same plans chrismp. I want to be able to change mold shapes without having to pull my press apart to change the top mold. To do this I need a big bladder.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Hey folks. Anybody here using the sestos PIDs? Im trying to find a way to set up a ramp in the heating. At the moment I just set the temp to 50'c then after 15 minutes turn set them to 80'. This isnt much of a problem but a controlled ramp takes out one more variable.

The little instruction sheet that came with them has nothing explaining it.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Download the instruction manual from this page
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... ducts_id=3
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Well after pressing up a sandboard

I thought I better try a full size snowboard. So here is my first snowboard pressed.
[/img]Image
Image[/img]

A few small issues but nothing that should cause major issue, I hope.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Nice shape. How's ya do the graphics in the veneer?
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

I just ran the veneer through an A3+ printer. Printed straight on easy as. I need to find a hack so I can print the full length though. At the moment my printer software only options up to 1250mm long. So I did it from both ends.

It was about two weeks between printing and pressing so the ink was well and truly dry. I think leaving it for a few days minimum is important. My resin doesn't affect it at all and it pressed resin through the entire veneer so I'm hopeful of a pretty tough topsheet.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Cool , I've done the same . I'm assuming paperback? I also have the hack. Shoot me your email. I'll send it to ya
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Hey Dtrain, sent you a PM.

The veneers I use are pure timber veneer, no paper back. They are damn fragile but with a bit of care seem easy enough to use.

I had quite a bit of resin make it's way through the veneer onto the top, it made the veneer topsheet nice and durable but made some messy spots that had to be cleaned up. I'm going to try putting a good coat of urethane on the top of the veneer a couple of days before pressing. Others have mentioned it before but I didn't quite understand what they meant.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

"hot coat" that top with more epoxy. Then sand it, then put something else over that for a gloss or matte coat or whatever you want. I just dont know what you're supposed to put as the top, Polyurethane possibly.
Doug
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Hey two pretty big upgrades to the press lately.

A single hose big enough that I don't need a cat track anymore and can do 3d shapes. My molds are 400mm wide so you can get an idea of size.

And an even bigger upgrade;
[/img]Image
A bottle opener.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Looks great
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

hey everybody, is there anyone out there that can email me the printer hack to print long images?
I have searched and found the link on here but when you follow it the download link on the website is dead. :(
nrgboards

Post by nrgboards »

Are you looking for the hack for an Epson 1400 printer?
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

I moved it around on my server to my personal.

http://thisischrisbagley.com/the-ever-e ... iver-hack/

Just posted this today in the hopes people will find it. I've had it online for a few years and always just sent the link personally via PM. Now it has it's own nifty post.