Kampai Custom

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Thanks heaps for posting the link. I have a HP printer but have managed to get the software to work with a couple of tests, not full length yet though.

Been busy with a few other things lately.

But did get time to press up another board;

[/img]Image

Not finished yet though.
I'm having trouble getting the weight down on my boards so far though. This is unfinished as yet, base not ground and sidewall and edges not finished but I don't think I will drop much weight when all done and this 159wide weighs 3.5 kilos. It only has 680gsm triax top and bottom and I mixed 700grams of resin for the layup. Core was mostly lightweight pine. The topsheet is 0.5mm thick raw veneer pine too.

I was hoping for 3 kilo.[/img]
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Have any of you guys worked out you glass weights per direction? What I mean is say a 750 gram triax, it is 250 gram each direction or something else.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Its generally equal
vinman

Post by vinman »

Depends on the manufacturer. You should be able to request it download the spec sheets from the mfr. I know vectrorply has them for dl.

I think the 22 oz (really 23oz) glass is 10oz on the 45 axis and 12.8oz in the 0 axis.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Well I got to test out a few of the boards over the last 6 months.
I took this one to the Australian backcountry.

It is definitely a freeride board, which kind of sucks as it wasn't supposed to be. Came out heavier and stiffer than I hoped and rode very much that way too. Not a total loss but would make a few changes before making one of these again. It definitely handles high speeds though and was very comfortable straight lining the chutes down club lake face.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Then I went to Japan and got to test some powder boards. :D :D

This was my first ever snowboard I pressed.

And although it took some nasty offs without any issues, it was a hard board to ride. I built this as a bit of a fantasy board as I've always wanted to try a big winterstick swallowtail but I didn't want a 180cm board, so I made a shorter, less crazy version. Unfortunately it didn't work out so well. The tail is still too wide, it loads up too much for a board with such a big wide nose. So when it gets into a turn it locks in and it is hard work pulling it out and changing directions. Even in soft powder the nose seems to engage too much, but mainly because the tail isn't sinking easily enough and it's keeping the nose into it. The camber goes right to almost the very end of the tail, so maybe a slightly shorter camber would make it better.
The locals really loved it though. Every time I took it out quite a few people would ask to have a look, they love the veneer topsheets in Japan.
I probably won't spend time fixing the issues with this shape as the next board was perfect. :D :D
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

I made two boards this shape and profile. It is S rocker. So rocker in the nose then camber from the front binding to the tail.
I made these for two friends and one is slightly stiffer than the other as one of the guys is a more aggressive rider than the other. I changed the flex just by changing the way I put the carbon fibre in them.

This is the softer of the two. I rode this for two days and it is by far the most fun I've had on a board in years. It is such a confidence boosting board, I've never ridden a board that behaves so well in any conditions. Cruising down groomers at high speed and then swinging straight into sections of trees flat out was so much fun on this. You can turn it on a dime but at the same time you can straight line down ungroomed runs in the afternoon when they are well chopped up. On one day of heavy snow after riding a few lines on a bit of sidecountry my mate (the owner of the board) was behind me trying to keep up as we came back down through the resort area and going through an ungroomed section he reckons he's never seem plumes of snow flying out from someone anywhere near as big as I was making.
The only thing this board lacks is a bit of spring, it doesn't generate a lot of air by itself on bumps and jumps, but if it did it would ruin the well behaved ride that it does have.
This picture was taken before it was finished off and unfortunately I don't have one of it all finished.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

This is the second of the two. This has a lot more pop through the middle of the board.

It is perfect for the guy I built it for and if you put a bit of energy into it while riding it gives it straight back when you want it. Pretty well behaved for a board with so much pop.

Unfortunately I only made two of these and they were both for other people so definitely going to be the next build I do for myself. The only negative of them both is that they are so much fun to ride fast that you get to the bottom too quick, it's not that they don't handle slow, tight sections, it's just that it's so much fun smashing through powder at speed.[/img]
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

This is a board I built for some friends who run a bar in Japan. It has a tiny little half pipe in the bar so obviously it's called the Skate Bar.
This has a lot in this board, camber to flat profile, so camber between the bindings and then flat to the tip and tail, but I also added a flat kick section at each end for some real huge pop from an Ollie. It also has a mild magnatraction edge so it'll hold a pipe wall well. It also has glow in the dark green sidewalls so it should look cool on the bar wall.

The owner of the bar is a well known guy from the area who used to travel the pro circuit a bit and loves big air comps so I made the board mainly for that type of riding. Unfortunately he is even shorter than I remembered so even this 151cm board looks huge next to him.

He does love the board though and instead of it being ridden a couple of times and then going up on the wall like I thought it would, the boys rode it all season. I haven't heard from them but I think it made it through. Knowing how these guys ride, it'll be pretty cool if it made it through the year without any problems. I might have to find out :? :?
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

They all look really good. The printed veneer looks great.
I want a swallowtail. It's on my list of cool shit to make for sure.

In the Swallow tail that you really like, You said camber goes all the way to the tail, do you still have a kick up or is the camber all the way to the tips? Not questioning design, just interested in how you did it and why.
Is it edges the whole way round?

David
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Hey there Quass. On the swallowtail I still have a little bit of kick up at the tips. It only lifts about 15mm but it's there to make the contact point before the end of the effective edge, so the widest part of the tail is about 4mm up if you sit the board on a table.

They all have full wrap steel edges. The two swallowtail boards you mention have quite a sharp end at the tips in the tail, so obviously I couldn't bend a perfect 90' bend in the edge before it breaks so there is a join there. So to make that join a bit stronger I TIG welded the two pieces together at that tip. The steel edges melt super quick even with a TIG welder so you got to be careful.

The rocker in the front is quite minimal. From the front bindings to the point the front tip starts to curve up it only rockers up 3mm. The camber is quite mild too. The middle of the camber is only about 4mm high.

Have you ridden any swallow tails before? They are heaps of fun.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I love edge bending!
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

you bend the thight radi hot or cold?
Tom
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Hey there Mammuth,
All the bends are done cold.
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

you must be some sort of edge bending NINJA!
Did you cut some teeth off on the tighter tips?
I am impressed.