Bent Green Things 2014/15

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skimann20

Bent Green Things 2014/15

Post by skimann20 »

Hey Gang, At it again.

So I've started this build season with a brand new adjustable bottom mold. I'm VERY happy with it. Here is my question: What radius tip mold do you use. I did a R360 tip and I think it looks a little to flat and as ridiculous as I am... I'm thinking about doing the whole tip section over (the next one I was going to cut out was a rocker tip but that one is going to go on the back burner until i nail this one down). Granted I would keep this mold for a front side carver but i was thinking about maybe a R300 tip. Anyone care to shoot me a number or two of radius they have used and liked I'd appreciate it. No rocker just straight radius.

photo of comparison:

or... tell me I'm being too picky. ;-)
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I dont use a radius as such, IMO a nose wants to have an up turn and then straighten out a bit.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

gozaimaas: I don't necessarily disagree with this idea, if the tip is rockered. However, if you do a slight radius and then an upturn with out rocker you tip has to be longer to get any real height out of the tip. I think this would cut down on the length of your contact edge.

The radius I have isn't bad, my only concern is if the skier has a pow day or N.E. Crud, that the ski might torpedo on them; not a result I'm looking for. Right now I'm thinking about going for the R300 and calling it a day.

I find the funny thing abut this all is I have hundreds of notes from everything I've learned along the way and I do not have my original mold dimensions written in them. To all the new builders write everything down, no mater how simple and EASY it is to remember... You'll forget. ;-)
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

I did my first pair with radius about 250 – 300 not easy to make tip/ tale confirming into the mold. Skis tips didn't came out that high anyway (due to my alignment mistake). imo tip up turn radius should be higher number. I didn't like tight up turn radius but this is my personal preferences.
btw picture of that tip mold in my Journal somewhere
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
b2therye

Post by b2therye »

I used a R170 tip R200 tail (i'm assuming that this is in mm) radius and then it straightens:

these are quite aggressive tips/tails because because i have 180 and 200 mm of tip and tail

depending on how much tip and tail you have will determine how aggressive a R360 radius tip/tail is.

check out my thread if you want to see how aggressive my tips/tails are
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I use R 300 for both tip and tail. The tail height is very low and the length of my tails are between 60mm - 80mm. Typical length of my tips are 150mm.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Skidesmond: thats real close to what I do. tips are in the 140mm range and tails are 80-100mm.

Finally got the bottom mold completed. for you viewing pleasure.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

so you know how I'm always preaching about taking notes to the new guys no matter how much you think you'll remember the info...

Well guess what I didn't do. I forgot to write down how much CF i put into this ski (pic from last year's build page):

My guess is 2" of 9oz CF. I've looked everywhere I can think of to see if I can find this info. My logic last year was too only change one variable at a time. For this pair i change the core profile from the pair before it. The pair before it was 2" 9oz CF (it's just a tad to soft). Usually i can pick up the CF in the light reflection of the coversheet but for some reason I can't pick it up in this pair. soooo... ether I cut this ski in half (never going to happen) or I go with my gut...

This ski is as stiff as I'd want to go so I'm thinking running a 2" 4oz Uni-CF down the middle or no CF at all to get a real baseline of the ski core.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I used 3in 9oz uni CF and it was too stiff. I think you're better off using 4 or 5 oz.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Cranked out two pairs of skis in two days. that was a first.

here are some notes from the build for you all.

both skis are 180 132-97-120 with a 2.7-12.7-2.7 flat binding section with rabbet for edges. 4OZ 2" carbon was used top and bottom. 22oz TCF top and bottom

One ski used a traditional cover sheet. I would say it has Hard flex with a sight touch of medium flex to the ski. I like it a lot. it has my name all over it.

The other ski has a wood veneer top to it. same guts and I would say that it is a hard ski with no "touch of medium flex". Has anyone else seen the same results?

One other question for the builders: I'm thinking of making one more ski with the same dimensions but I'm going to reduce the core to 2.7-11.7-2.7 with the same flat section length. How much reduction on "hardness" do you think I'll get? I know have built the same ski with 4 different flex profiles this new core shape will make 5 skis and I should have a good spectrum. thoughts?
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Hey Gang. Still building but nothing really new to post. I'm building a "women" ski now and looking for your thoughts.

Here is her dimensions: 166cm 125/82/102 I normally do a 2.7/11.7/2.7 core (flat section under the boots) and I'm thinking about doing the same with this ski.

here is my question: Would the flex of this ski stay proportional to other skis if I proportionally scale everything back? I know the dimensions of the ski are not dimensionally scaling so there has to be a factor for that but I'm looking to get "close enough". Does that make sense?

Or...

how about wording it this way. Is there a scaling factor that should be applied to a ski core if you are building a 185, 175, 165 if all the ski's dimensions stay the same? I would think the shorter the ski gets the stiffer it would become? let me know what your thoughts are. I don't believe I've seen this come up on here.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Think about a 2x4 at 16 feet you can deflect the beam very eisily with your weight at 6 feet its very hard to deflect the bea. With the same amount of weight.
So the answer is no.
vinman

Post by vinman »

MM is right, I'd thin that core out quite a bit more. thin your tip and tail out to 2.2 and maybe something like 10.5 or so under foot. Also think about lighter glass. 19oz triax instead of 22 and/or you can flip your glass, 0 deg fibers (warp) closer to the core to create a little less stiffness.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

thanks MM, I like the way you think. that's usually the type of analogies i use. I was just wondering if the "20cm" would make that much of a difference. My thought is it would but just by how much.

Vin: I was almost thinking about making the core at 2.7/11.7/2.7 and seeing how the flex compares to a core that I already have. then slowly shave the core down to a shallower core profile (as you suggested) and seeing how much softer it gets. I mean its only time and money right. ;-)
vinman

Post by vinman »

I find for anything over 174 ish 11.7 (22oz glass) would be too stif for most people. 2.7 in the tip and rail would also be pretty stiff.

For shorter skis I really need to get my cores down to the lower 11s/ mid- higher 10s for them to feel right.(not too stiff)
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com