Through the thorns to the stars

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Used machines with stone and belt wide enough for snowboards can be bought for around 10-20k EUR if you're lucky.

One thing a Wintersteiger sales rep told us was that you cannot get a perfectly flat base on a snowboard with just a belt grind as the rubber wheel the belt runs on has some give and will introduce a very slight unevenness.
motoman

Post by motoman »

chrismp wrote:Used machines with stone and belt wide enough for snowboards can be bought for around 10-20k EUR if you're lucky.

One thing a Wintersteiger sales rep told us was that you cannot get a perfectly flat base on a snowboard with just a belt grind as the rubber wheel the belt runs on has some give and will introduce a very slight unevenness.
Do you mean 10-20 thousands? It is big price.

Okay, the device with rubber wheel is not enough, than what will be enough?
On the kingswood video on 7.11 minute is shown some kind of device for final grinding.

Definitely sales rep is right but also it is his work, to sale more))
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Yes, I mean thousands! A regular belt sander without a stone costs 20-30.000 EUR new, a combined machine with a stone and belt costs in the range of 40-60.000 EUR, so 10-20.000 isn't that much for a used one in good shape.

What you see in the Kingswood video is a machine with a stone and belt, so it was really expensive. You might want to consider outsourcing your base grinds as you can do loads of grinds for the price of a used machine.
motoman

Post by motoman »

chrismp wrote: You might want to consider outsourcing your base grinds as you can do loads of grinds for the price of a used machine.
May be for now I will search for companies that do repair of snowboards and skies since the amount of snowboards that I would like to make this season definitely will not cover expenditures. But presence of own grinder warms the heart.
By the by, the base that I have ordered IS 7500 (isosport production) has one surface pretty smooth. In comparison, previous one had both sides rough. I don't know it will be looks like after press.
pmg

Post by pmg »

chrismp wrote: One thing a Wintersteiger sales rep told us was that you cannot get a perfectly flat base on a snowboard with just a belt grind as the rubber wheel the belt runs on has some give and will introduce a very slight unevenness.
Absolutely true, and its the same with skis. Though I admit that from some 100 Snowboards I serviced so far, about 5% were produced flat enough to grind them perfectly flat. Nearly all Snowboards are too uneven to think about grinding everything perfect...
motoman

Post by motoman »

pmg wrote:Nearly all Snowboards are too uneven to think about grinding everything perfect...
Nothing is perfect in this world but we have to try. Now I understand that I have got new headache...(
motoman

Post by motoman »

He is a little lyrical digression before continuation.
Our own binding inserts))
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

They look pretty cool.
Did you get them made for you?
What do they cost per plug then?
How will you seal them so they don't get epoy in them?
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
motoman

Post by motoman »

Akiwi wrote:They look pretty cool.
Did you get them made for you?
What do they cost per plug then?
How will you seal them so they don't get epoy in them?
Yes we decided that producing our own is much cheaper.
The unit cost is really cheap for us aprox. 15 euro cents.
Probably we will make some kind of thin metal covers. Or will experiment with something))
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

You could either drip wax into them, then use heat to melt it out,
Or just stick some tape over the top and trim it off.
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
motoman

Post by motoman »

Akiwi wrote:You could either drip wax into them, then use heat to melt it out,
Or just stick some tape over the top and trim it off.
Yes, we did it before. It is good method))
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

a type of tape called flash tape or flash release tape (it is usually blue, sometimes green) for use in composite work seals the top of an insert off really well. The tape releases clean even after heat cure and doesn't let resin in at all. Put the tape on the insert then cut around it with a sharp blade. You can drop a clipped off section of a nail into the insert before taping and those strong little rare earth round magnets will center on it right away.
motoman

Post by motoman »

24Dave wrote:a type of tape called flash tape or flash release tape (it is usually blue, sometimes green)
You can drop a clipped off section of a nail into the insert before taping and those strong little rare earth round magnets will center on it right away.
I will try to buy this tape, but I don't know right translation of this tape on my country language)) I have to ask in big building markets.
As for nail clipped off section I don't understand how it will work. Does the nail has a magnet on it?
motoman

Post by motoman »

Oh, forgive me fool, I forgot that stainless steel does not interact with magnets, at least good one. Also I found out what is that little round magnet. Now its all clear. Thanks
motoman

Post by motoman »

We encountered some difficulties during working with our sidewalls. But I think it is not big trouble.
Finally we got result. But still there are some questions how to work tip and tail part of snowboard to make it perfectly smooth (like from the shop)...
I thought that fine sandpaper can does this work. But it is not possible to make sanding uniform.
Here are some pictures of our first time device to work side walls.
Router is not stable since it is fixed only on two screws, we will try to build another type of fixation for it. Also we have to use stick tape to keep it on all the time))