sodding disaster******!!!!!!

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Gilo

sodding disaster******!!!!!!

Post by Gilo »

Just pulled my latest pair out of the mould; they were to be a christmas present for someone. The lay up had gone well, I really liked the design. I had tried something new with the top sheet and that all looked good.

On de-flashing I realised that I had put one of the bases in the mould back to front and the tail was higher than the tip and to add insult to injury there was a significant delamination towards the tip where the edge met the VDS.

Second fault I can live with as it was probably something simple - I think, being a bit mean with the resin. The first fault on the other hand is just pure stupidity on my part and harder to bear!

sodding bloody hell!

Gilo
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

Lucky it is 4 weeks till Christmas then.
You still have time to make a new pair.
A pain about the materials used.. But if it doesn't happen again, then at least something positive came out of it.

And maybe you can use the skis as ...er... Fishing rods, or snow shovels or to replace broken or missing fence posts, or drill holes in them to fit shot glasses, and use for serving shots.
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

do you using heat? Try to repress. Maybe it helps to fix the problem if not what you have to lose? I remember someone mentioned done it.
My first pair I mistakenly shift cassette to the back too much and tales end up substantially higher, no big deal but it was 2 not 1
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
chrislandy

Post by chrislandy »

It's a bugger when that happens, treat it as a learning experience and an (expensive) lesson, then utilise them as a bit of wall art, a bit of funky furniture or as akiwi said, a shot glass tray would be cool :)
richie

Post by richie »

Its a crap feeling for a while but I have learnt to accept the old balls up and in fact these are the cheapest learnings you can get - in reality where could you learn this lesson anywhere else? University? I doubt it......

Just don't repeat the mistake or you have not learnt!!!!!

Make a checklist too and tick it off at each step, including verification steps like "have I got everything around the right way"

cheers, Rich
MonkeyCAM and SnoCAD - https://github.com/mikemag
Ski binding mounting https://github.com/splitn2/DrillSki

Richard Harcourt | www.splitn2.com | Christchurch New Zealand
rich@splitn2.com | www.facebook.com/splitn2
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I put some cores on the cnc backwards the other day and just before profileing I noticed they were backwards.
We also lammed a top on upside down once but we just ripped it and flipped it.
Some things you can fix and some you cant.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Easy to get complacent when you find a groove. Sometimes you have to force yourself to slow down.
Hannes

Post by Hannes »

Ohoh. Remembers me to be careful this weekend. I want to built my wifes präsent as well. Yesterday I broke an edge while bending it. 45degrees were to much in one go. Luckily it was right at the end of the Ski where only little the hook of the Skins will be attached. So I learned to glow the edge for the tight angles.

Like Akiwi wrote, a tray for shots would be nice. Two skis for skiing and an additional gift for drinking. And the tray is brand new, not one of these old beaten up skis I used to drink from.
Gilo

Post by Gilo »

Thanks for the suggestions folks

note to self "be more chuffing careful!"

G
pmg

Post by pmg »

And imho the most important lesson: Don't put time stress on you. Like in this case the christmas deadline. It's finished when its finished, do not try to rush it.
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

pmg wrote:And imho the most important lesson: Don't put time stress on you. Like in this case the christmas deadline. It's finished when its finished, do not try to rush it.
Haha.. dream on! My life seems to be ruled by deadlines!
Yes Christmas is a big one.
I am going skiing then and need to get my skis and snowboards built by then..
Also prezzies for the kiddies.. and on 1st Jan is my wifes 50th birthday.. I haven't got the foggiest what I will get her yet.

It will be done when it is done.
Would be nice..

I think more important is good planning. and practice.
And get off your arse instead of sitting in front of TV... So use your time wisely.
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
Hannes

Post by Hannes »

What about not drinking New years Eve? This way you are not hung over at your wifes birthday ;)

My family is gone for the weekend so I thought I just built my wifes x-mas present this weekend. This morning I skiped that plan because I will mess it up in a hurry.