WRONG 2017

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

Realy realy nice!
I guess the resin was a little thicker, or started to harden sooner and therefore not squeezing out as much. You could try warming the epoxy a little to make it a bit thinner. OTOH if it was hardening too soon, then warming might make it worse.
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

Gav, thanks for the start point on the drum sanding, and what a gorgeous little board that one is! stunning veneer work.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

So I had a small problem with a board recently.

A board I built for a mate (the one with the monkey image just recently) came with him on a trip to Japan over the last month.
Well day 3 into the trip he starts complaining about his board falling apart, some other crap about maybe "proper built" boards are just stronger and the "glue" works better. (what a wanker)
So anyway I go down to the dry room to check out what has happened, expecting to find a delam or something.
This is his complaint;

So yeah this is apparently a build quality issue, any ideas how to prevent it? HAHA.
Even after a week or so he was still putting out theories of how my builds might be faulty compared to big brand boards. As you can imagine I was very diplomatic after a week of hearing how a massive edge slam must be because of bad build techniques.
Last edited by gav wa on Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
burnside

Post by burnside »

There's some sort of irony here that you can see a rubber capped monstrosity right behind your buddy's board.

Maybe he needs one of those....
vinman

Post by vinman »

Annealed edge material?
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

burnside - yeah I think that might be more his pace :)

Vinman - no, I don't anneal any of my edges. That edge is full hardness and in person you can see a definite shape to it, something solid has been impacted.
vinman

Post by vinman »

� then he really doesn't have anything to complain about
richie

Post by richie »

had it been a "real board" I wonder if it would be even rideable now - more like totally destroyed. And your mate, is he carrying any sort of injury after hitting the tree or rail ?
MonkeyCAM and SnoCAD - https://github.com/mikemag
Ski binding mounting https://github.com/splitn2/DrillSki

Richard Harcourt | www.splitn2.com | Christchurch New Zealand
rich@splitn2.com | www.facebook.com/splitn2
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Yeah Richie, he was pretty sore for a while from two decent off's he had.
Plus after a week he mentioned that one included a pipe in the ground. I sat there dumbfounded that after talking about hitting a solid steel pipe he was still discussing build quality.
Interesting point, I had made him the board for free, not even cost of materials. He had just split up with his Fiancée and I thought it might help him take his mind off things and move forward. The thanks you get eh HAHA.

I'll still cut out the edge and repair it if he brings it around, mainly just for the practice and I don't like one of my boards out there looking like that.
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

gav wa wrote:Interesting point, I had made him the board for free, not even cost of materials. He had just split up with his Fiancée and I thought it might help him take his mind off things and move forward. The thanks you get eh HAHA.

I'll still cut out the edge and repair it if he brings it around, mainly just for the practice and I don't like one of my boards out there looking like that.
You sir deserve better friends :D
richie

Post by richie »

gav wa wrote:Yeah Richie, he was pretty sore for a while from two decent off's he had.
Plus after a week he mentioned that one included a pipe in the ground. I sat there dumbfounded that after talking about hitting a solid steel pipe he was still discussing build quality.
Interesting point, I had made him the board for free, not even cost of materials. He had just split up with his Fiancée and I thought it might help him take his mind off things and move forward. The thanks you get eh HAHA.

I'm not surprised he's sore! Yes those edges we all use are damn tough, one of my boards I built went for a wee solo mission without me when I tripped and did the total dick move and lost my grip on the board while taking a short side hike outside the field, luckily it was a fairly deserted basin. Well I watched the board take off at mach speed right down to the snow line where its grand finale was a huge air and nose first landing into some very chunky bedrock. I was debating the merits of even bothering getting it, maybe salvage the bindings but I was not expecting the board to survive - yet the front of the board only had a very minor delam and ever so slight edge deformation and was a 5 minute repair - so what ever your mate hit yeah I bet he felt it!!!!!! Tell him to stop being miserable too and be grateful to have a legend mate like you to build him a board that is super generous of you. Cheers
MonkeyCAM and SnoCAD - https://github.com/mikemag
Ski binding mounting https://github.com/splitn2/DrillSki

Richard Harcourt | www.splitn2.com | Christchurch New Zealand
rich@splitn2.com | www.facebook.com/splitn2
vinman

Post by vinman »

I once had a buddy who I built a ski for who mounted them with binding freedom inserts. He claimed my core was bad because the inserts kept coming out. I took the skis back and made him new ones. Turns out the inserts had not been cleaned after being machined and were contaminated with metal cutting fluid which caused the epoxy in his mount to not bond to the insert. But of course it was my core that was the problem......

I remounted them with normal screws and skied for a couple years after, many times with that friend so he knew it was not the skis of my fault.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Hey first build in just over a year. Can't belief it has been that long. Well until I saw how rusty I was putting this board together :D :D

In the end it turned out ok. I was not too sold on the bright orange edge with such a red veneer topsheet but it actually looks sweet.

It's a short board for a short guy, it's only a 150cm

The top is actually pine veneer that I stained to look like a redwood. Looks really nice in person. I added a bit of thinned black stain around the edges to darken it a bit.
Last edited by gav wa on Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Pretty happy with the new resin I tried out. I stuffed up the heat ramping a little and ended up with a bit of spoon in the base, but for a powder board it might work out pretty good.
The flex is very similar to how my old resin would have worked with this layup, maybe a little stiffer, so that is cool. This board is a mid-stiff flex so should be a fun and lively board to ride.
Weight is about right for this size board, 2650 grams. Maybe just on the light side, but hopefully it still has a bit of damp feel to it, I used 1 inch wide VDS so maybe that will help.
burnside

Post by burnside »

That board looks awesome. That redwood stain with the orange sidewalls turned out great.

Do you have any tips on staining veneer for topsheets? The advice I've gotten in the past is to stain before pressing so that epoxy on the veneer doesn't create a splotchy pattern.