Fjør Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

tarhof

Fjør Skis

Post by tarhof »

Hello people!

This will be the (somewhat slow) journal of the process of building my first pairs of skis.

I will be exploring non-traditional ways to design and build skis. The approach will be more of the analytical apporach, rather than the usual trail and error.

I'm curretly a MSc Student in Mechanical Engineering in Norway. Spent ten years as an alpine racer, was a "park rat" and I've been a "powder hound" the last years.

Before the actual ski building can commence, I have to solve a lot of difficulties. I need to finish designing and build the CNC router, figure out whether to use a pneumatic press or an autoclave and figure out how to make the core lighter (more on this project later). I am also planning to do computer aided optimization of the layup.

Can't wait to explore more of this journey, and share it with you.

More to come!
satch

Post by satch »

Welcome!

That sounds like a thorough plan. I'm curious if you'll be able to follow through with it or if you secretly slip into Trial and error mode ;-)
Be sure to keep us updated here. It's always nice to learn new methods or just see a new cnc router being built. You are probably able to use the University facilities if you'er thinking about using an autoclave.
If you're planning on using CAE for the layup, do you plan to somehow record a loadcase first?
Perhaps start your Journal with a screenshot of your CNC as an appetizer...
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

Sweet, looking forward to see all of that.