photobucket

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

photobucket

Post by skidesmond »

If you didn't know already Photobucket users will no longer be able to use their site for free. This will break all my photo links and I'm sure it will for many others. I'm in the process of removing all my content from photobucket. I'd re-post the pics somewhere but I have far too many pics that I've posted over the years to figure out where they are in the forum and determine the pic.

I hope it doesn't add to the demise of this group. I don't know what photo site Ill use going forward, maybe Shutterfly, Google Docs...
LumberJacked

Post by LumberJacked »

This is devastating... They should grandfather-in existing users or at least their photo's. I was wondering why there are so many broken photos on this site.

The pictures on this site are worth as much as the text or more (for me at least). I mean try describing an edge bender without a picture. Thanks for the heads up!
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

The truth and the pity is ... it will hurt this forum for newbies. But that problem have a lot of sites without possibility of local upload.

I remember when i started building some years ago, i was reading trough this forum for weeks. Loads of good infos
Tom
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I thought they restored everyone's pics back in May but apparently there are some glitches. Mine were restored. I still won't use them for all future posts. I've been using Imgur.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Some of my links worked and some didn’t. But soon photobucket will require you to pay a monthly fee. What really bothered me about them is they stopped the hot links without notice, at least I never got one. Plans start at $4.48 a month. It’s cheap but they just turned me off. It’s going to make the forum difficult to follow.

If there’s a post I have and you need the pic, I still have them on my hard drive and I can send them to you or re-post the pic to another site and update the post.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Sorry to say but photobucket has blown goats for a long time.
Crap links and interface, slow connection and just lame.
I prolly had some stuff there but there are plenty of free fast, linkable sites or there used to be.
I seem to have lost the ability to link images inline in post on this site.
Perhaps i forgot my bbc link code.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

This is indeed a bummer. I've used imgur.com for posts on some other forums, and it works pretty well. For now...

Nothing is free. Storage space and bandwidth cost money. Anything offering these things for free has a time limit, even if unstated. Sometimes it will end well (i.e., give you a chance to move), and sometimes not. The Internet is littered with dead free sites for images, backups, forums, blogs, you name it.

I find it's best to pay, and it's best to get as close to the true "backbone" of the Internet as possible. That means Google Cloud, AWS, or Azure. Your pick, but I got started with personal projects on Google's infra and I've stuck with it. The odds that Google's cloud services (or Amazon's or MS's) will go away are incredibly small.

I've been putting pics into a multi-regional Google Storage bucket that I've made publicly accessible. I get nice, simple links but the interface is not pretty. The cost is $0.026 per month per GB. There's also a reasonable command line interface.

Example link: https://storage.googleapis.com/mmm-publ ... immer3.jpg

Here's their quick start guide: https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/q ... rt-console

I'm sure there are equivalent guides for AWS and Azure, and I'd be surprised if pricing isn't similar as well.

Good luck!
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
Head Monkey

Re: photobucket

Post by Head Monkey »

skidesmond wrote: ... but I have far too many pics that I've posted over the years to figure out where they are in the forum ...
I did this part for you. See my post here and the accompanying spreadsheet: http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 1027#51027 and
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

That awesome! Unfortunately I deleted my photobucket pics and my account, but I could probably figure it out based on the jpeg name. It would be a small project to update all 338 pics! Thanks for doing this!
Head Monkey

Re: photobucket

Post by Head Monkey »

An update on this topic: we've enabled image uploads to the site. More details here: http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =14&t=5383