Innegra/carbon

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Lennart

Innegra/carbon

Post by Lennart »

Hello, I haven´t posted here for a long while. I have turned 70 and I am still both making skis and
ski as often as I can. In my latest pair I have made use of innegra the lightest fiber there is. It is wowen together with a carbon fiber. Normally carbon fiber is brittle, but together with innegra it is
almost indestructible. There are two layers of innegra/carbon 181g each and one layer triaxial Fiberglas 800g under the core. The core is slow grown north Swedish pine, that is really flexible and with good damping. Over the core one layer innegra/carbo , triaxial Fiberglas 800g and another layer innegra/carbon. Then orange aluminized Fiberglas and a nylon/acryl top sheet.
I have made over 40 pair of skis and these are the best so far. Dimensions are length 181 cm,
130-73-110 mm.
[img][img=http://forumbilder.se/I4738/p1010132.JPG][/img]
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Thanks for the post.

What's your total weight?
I found the innegra/carbon weave to be both bulky and a resin sponge in wet layup.
I'm also concerned that the innegra is a polypropylene and is one of the most difficult materials to laminate.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Lennart

Innegra/carbon

Post by Lennart »

Thank you Sammer.
The total weight of one ski is 3 kg with binding. Without I don´t really know, but the same lay up but with basalt fiber instead of Innegra/carbon is heavier especially in swing weight.
I had no problems with lay up and it´s not bulky at all. The combo is thin and easy to work with. The weave sucks a little more epoxy, but I use one with low viscosity. It is a honeycomb pattern weave which gives torsional stiffness. The skis perform like a racing ski with firm grip, good damping and a snappy rebound.
Link to where to buy: https://compositeenvisions.com/carbon-f ... oz-181gsm/
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

How much you have to compensate core thickness for this layup?

Is it just torsionally stronger or does it affect the flex too?
Tom
Lennart

Innegra/carbon

Post by Lennart »

It effects both torsion and stiffness.