Round Top skis 19/20

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Wheatlpa
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:14 am
Location: Sutton, QC

Re: Round Top skis 19/20

Post by Wheatlpa »

So, the skiing has been excellent and ski building has taken a break. It is going to pick up again soon as the SSR's, PIDs and thermocouple wire has arrived from Auber. Once i am back from my AIARE 1 course i will start the build for the two control boxes and then start testing out the heat blankets and figure out if the heat sensor on the blankets will work.

Ben_mtl has been a huge source of information and help on cutting templates on his CNC router. Of course I have discovered that simply designing a ski from scratch is not as easy as i thought it would be. I am using a free ware CAD application (nanoCAD) and i am trying to build a 180cm ski with dimensions 126/95/116 with rockered tip and tail. The first thing i did was measure in from the tip 22cm to where i wanted the widest part of the shovel. I then measured 15cm from the tail for the widest part of the tail. I then split the ski in half (cord center) where i wanted the narrowest part under foot. I drew an arc from tip to center to tail which will form the radius. I then drew more arcs at tip and tail to give the ski shape. I am not sure if this is how everybody does it but this seemed to be the logical way to approach it. Anyway, i am still doing some research on this and will trace some of the skis that i have here to see if this method actually works.

On a less frustrating note last weekend was great skiing, here is a picture of the skis i made last year at my friends place in Vermont. They ski really well and i just hope the first pair i make on my own turn out as well.
Image

Wheatlpa
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:14 am
Location: Sutton, QC

Re: Round Top skis 19/20

Post by Wheatlpa »

So it has been a while since i have made much progress but this weekend the temps were warm enough for me to spend some quality time in the unheated shop. Over the past month i have cut out the tip and tail parts to create the molds. I then got a used router table and figured out how to attach my old router to it to make the pattern routing easier and less dusty. Once they were all the same shape i was able to glue them up, scrape the squeeze out and sand them smoothish ready for use. I then decided to pressure test the vacuum table to see if it would hold a seal. which i am happy to say it did!
Before:
Image

After:
Image

The next step is sizing the middle part and routing the air channels which should not take long.

After that, i still have to figure out the best way to wire a heat blanket inside the vacuum. I suspect it will be two tight holes for the power and thermocouple wire and lots of silicone to seal any gaps. Then wire up the control box which is very straight forward. I should be making skis before spring is over...

Post Reply